Bad neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
Last night I get home and the lady down the road calls and says her neighbor (lets call her lady C for crazy)called animal control on her. This lady (lets call her lady A)is the one that I occasionally work the kinks out her TB for so I know her well. She spends more money feeding three horses than most folks spend on car payments. Basically only the best of everything.

So, the neighbor (lady C) calls AC and they come out and say "you must have cleaned up I don't smell anything". The lady A told him no the horse poop is behind the barn and is due to be picked up (she pays to have it hauled) next week. He walks back there and says I don't smell much. THEN, he tells her lady C says she doesn't take care of (abuses) her horses. The AC guys looks at them and says "these horses are fat, clean, and look very content. There is no case here".

Now, what do you do with these types of neighbors? Can't shoot em, can't smack em around. This same lady C came walking by my place a couple times with her itty bitty dog and stuck her head over my gate. I could see her from the house so I knew she was snooping. My dogs saw her and went to greet her and she left. :lol:

This is in the country folks! Of course lady C only has an itty bitty dog. Dang, I say you move to the country, ya gotta expect to smell stuff. :mad:

Yeah I hate people like that, theres alot of them around here. They move here from FL or some big city buy like 200 acre farms that some old guy had to give up after working his butt off on the farm and buy a crap load of horses and dont even know 1 thing about them. Then they start complaining about all your stuff, I just tell them that they need to go bac to where they came from.

Yeah they move to the country to get away from it and bring their crud with them.
The horses smell, the cows smell, the farmers stuff smells.

Only thing I can suggest is this busybuddy is looking to make trouble. Every time she calls the AC have the other lady document it. Take pictures of her place and animals. Do the same for your self. If she is looking over your gate she is going to try to make trouble. Document and date everytime she pulls this stunt. If she does it enough there may be a harrassment suit pending against her. Watch out these people love to make a fuss at County Commisoner meetings and town hall meetings and get things changed to go their way.
Hate them.

I agree with I Luv Herefords, document all of the incidences with this lousy neighbor, it could become a harrassment case. These type of people amaze and dumbfound me. They move to the country, you are going to smell the large dairys, the hog confinements, the cattle feed yards, when the cow/calf-ers wean the cows are going to beller for days on end keeping you awake, these people need to get a $%#^ clue! Their lives are so empty and fruitless that they need to find something to complain about and if they can't see anything they try to dig it up, i.e. looking over your gate pretending to walk her dog. I guess I try to be a good neighbor and believe that I am, I haven't had any complaints yet, but I also don't worry too much about smell, noise, etc. The zoning laws are on my side, cattle and horses are well cared for, don't stay out too much after dark making noise, and don't get started too early in the moring making noise. I think this neighbor lady needs a friend, maybe invite her over for coffee? If that doesn't work ask around, is she trying to get other's in trouble or is she just out for your friend?

She won't be having coffee at my house. :lol:

I'm not sure what she is up to. I have heard that she has her nose in everyone's business. My dogs runs her off so I don't worry about her plus she lives way down the road from me.

So how do you reward the dogs? :D
I would tell the lady she is bothering about documenting like I said before. It may cover her backside in the future at another time.

There are people like that everywhere. I have belonged to three gun clubs now that have been shut down because people built there houses next to them and then complained about the noise.

Pretty quite in my neck of the woods past year.But 2 neighbors were like Hatfields and McCoys awhile back.#1 was blasting away until midnight,drinking beer,ect.#2 calling Sheriff Dept. complaining it's scaring the horses.#1 had about 15+ dogs.Dogs barking at the horses.#2 blast few rounds near the dogs.#1 and some of their friends tearing up the road with ATVs.#2 had a few feeling no pain,got tired of it,when to ask what the heck you'all think your doing.#1 and #2 get in a fist fight out on the gravel road.#1 son jumps in with his boots to #2.#2 ends up in the hospital and #1 and son in county jail.A Texas DPS trooper bought a place not long after that,it got a little quiet.#1 goes back shooting.Some of #1's dogs get shot.
The trooper and his deputy wife had to talk to both of them to keep peace in the neighborhood.Then a #3 moves in about the same as #1 with beer cans everywhere and shooting,dogs on a chain with 55 gal drum for a dog house.Glad I am in the back part.Then sometimes when I shoot my guns they ask what's going on.22 miles out in the country,down 3 miles of gravel road.You still have the right to do as you want.Shoot guns,raise
hogs,cattle,chickens.Sometime work on my mopars with open headers 1am.#1 been gone in Fl. and #2 working a lot in the oilpatch,both gone alot.One of my neighbors complain about a dead cow I had out in the woods near the fence.Guess the wind blows towards his deer stand.Always something even out in the country.

Things are changing in the country. More and more people are moving out from the city and bringing their attitudes with them.
My neighbor, city boy, moved in with his pack of big dogs. Dogs killed my chickens. Then proceeded to kill all the rest of the chickens in the neighborhood. There is no leash law here and the neighbor explained that is one of the reasons he moved to the country. His recommendation was that if I wanted to raise chickens I should keep them penned up. His dogs somehow disappeared. He just went out and got more. Dogs disappeared again. Again he got more. I still have no chickens.
I believe his kids have shot out every wild animal within a mile.
The good thing is that he sure is enjoying the country life.
I do not mean to imply that all city folk are like this. But how did I get so lucky?

Novatech think it's still the law in Texas. You still have the Right to protect Agriculture.Such as cows,horses,chickens,corn or watermellon patch.Chicken killing dogs,don't last long out in the country.It almost gave me cardiac arrest when my 3 rottweilers got out one time gone for a day.But very luckly nothing happen.Had one neighbor from up North had some dogs,
one bit me while I was out planting pine trees.I told that dog one day!!!!.So the neighbor moves back up North and leaves his dogs.They barking at my cows,then come barking at me.So you can guess the rest what happen.I had 2 blue healers one time,chasing the neighbors horses.Almost shot them both.Then had some people one time went off and left about 10 dogs to starve run in a pack.So we all have our fair share of problems with life out in the country.

novatech":xelaz6dq said:
Things are changing in the country. More and more people are moving out from the city and bringing their attitudes with them.
My neighbor, city boy, moved in with his pack of big dogs. Dogs killed my chickens. Then proceeded to kill all the rest of the chickens in the neighborhood. There is no leash law here and the neighbor explained that is one of the reasons he moved to the country. His recommendation was that if I wanted to raise chickens I should keep them penned up. His dogs somehow disappeared. He just went out and got more. Dogs disappeared again. Again he got more. I still have no chickens.
I believe his kids have shot out every wild animal within a mile.
The good thing is that he sure is enjoying the country life.
I do not mean to imply that all city folk are like this. But how did I get so lucky?

its not just you. i have druggies to the east and the bad version of mexicans(no offense to the good version) to the west. they both brought dogs with them. bad dogs. one day they decided to chase some cattle. thats when the 12 gage came out. lets just say theres only about 2 dogs left. and they know their place ;-) and so do the owners :p

When is comes to dogs on my place, they only get once chance. If I know the owner, they get a strongly worded phone call and if I don't they are taken care of. In Iowa it is legal to shoot dogs without collars on your property to help stop the spread of rabies.

Back when I was still working on my enclosure for The Duchess (my American Alligator), I had sooo many problems with that. You see, my animals can't get out of their enclosures, but for some reason a lot of dogs were able to get in. Bandit is well-trained to stay out, but I have loads of trouble with strays who don't know better.

Duchess made a meal out of someone's German Shepherd dog, and the family was all for trying to make me pay for the dog. I refused, and the police wouldn't do anything because after all, I was here first. I felt bad for the loss of some kid's pet, but come on..

I also get people who don't like reptiles complaining to me about the "dangerous animals". Funny thing is, they're almost always upset about the snakes more than anything. They couldn't care less about my Komodo Dragon, but show them a ball python (I collect ball pythons, I have about 27) and they freak. And I've had neighbors try to report me for keeping my 10ft red-tailed boa in my house in a secure enclosure, and be totally calm about my really dangerous animals like the crocodilians and komodo dragon.

The snakes are the only harmless part of my menagerie..

if she is next door put hog pens right on your fence line. let her see real country for a bit. i had a similiar issue. i had an ex family friend come by and tell me how to raise hogs and their pen was dirty and they were mistreated. the hogs are all huge and gettin ready to be butchered. in the mean time she load my horses up with feed while they were in the barn and almost got them sick. complained about the chickens walking around etc. complained that my cattle dogs where in a pen on dirt. etc. etc.

This was when i was out of town and she was supposed to be doing some work at the horse not missing with the animals that were being watch by my neighbor. she said she was going to call animal control about the hogs and dogs.

of course she leaves in the city and knows it all.

Well my tree hugging neighbor recently moved from the city's dead tree fell on the fence( my fence) tearing down a 20 foot section and then complained when 3 of my cows got out on his place. After letting my cows back in and telling him I would fix the fence and cut the remaining section of the dead tree down he said it was a habitat for birds..........go figure.

i REALIZE THIS IS A VERY OLD POST, BUT i HAD TO RESPOND. When I was in my teens, we lived in the country, and had horses, my daddy was a commercial beekeeper. A family from the city with young children moved down the road. My dad's "honey house", as well as the beehives were very visible. They had only lived there a short while til they began complaining about the bees bothering their kids in the pool, and so forth. About a year later, another city family moves in, and demands we sell our horses, and take down our fences, because he moved to the country to look at "wide open spaces" not fences!!!

cowgirllinda1952":2nyui1we said:
i REALIZE THIS IS A VERY OLD POST, BUT i HAD TO RESPOND. When I was in my teens, we lived in the country, and had horses, my daddy was a commercial beekeeper. A family from the city with young children moved down the road. My dad's "honey house", as well as the beehives were very visible. They had only lived there a short while til they began complaining about the bees bothering their kids in the pool, and so forth. About a year later, another city family moves in, and demands we sell our horses, and take down our fences, because he moved to the country to look at "wide open spaces" not fences!!!
so many ways id have approached this,, gives me goosebumps :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2f0hd16y said:
cowgirllinda1952":2f0hd16y said:
so many ways id have approached this,, gives me goosebumps :cowboy:

After my Dad died 2 years ago, I bought all the land from my step mom, except for the house and 5 acres. Dad's land bordered my place, so it was more strategic purchase than necessity. The house finally sold last September. It's likely the realtor did not explain to these city folk how big (small) 5 acres is, and because there was not yet a fence up between my land and their land, they might have thought that big field was theirs. They hadn't even finished moving in, when one Saturday night I took my wife and kids diller hunting. It was about 9pm. Those folks called the sheriff because somebody was driving a truck and shooting loud guns on THEIR land. When the sheriff arrived, with his bath robe on, I explained everything but the neigbors would not hear it. They insisted that I had to have driven across there land from the county road to get into that field. They did not know my house was half mile behind them. I hopped back in the truck and drove home, through the field. Next day, there was a fence up, with NO TRESPASSING signs aimed their direction. Wife baked them a Christmas basket. I broke a garden spot for them. Turns out they are really nice folks. Good fences make good neighbors

Latest posts