Backyard grassers must have come to the sale.

Help Support CattleToday:

In the us tire size changed from 16 to 17 and 18 oem when the rear brakes changed from drum brakes to disc brakes. There are absolutely no vehicles in the us that are rated 1/2 ton equivalents and higher with 16 inch oem wheels and rear disc brakes. Rear disc on 1/2 ton equivalent rated vehicles require at least 17 inch wheels to fit over rear calipers.
My 02 chevy has factory 16" rims and disc brakes all the way around.

It's all about 'thermal capacity'. Larger diameter, thicker discs cool better, giving better braking.
The brake pads on my truck with 20" rims are not 2" taller than the pads on the truck I had with 16" rims. It's all about the rotor. Measure them
Actually the opposite is true thicker rotors hold temperature longer then thinner rotors . That's why high performance and some after marker rotors have groves cut in them. To reduce overall metal mass and increase air flow around and in the rotor to reduce heat build up since air dissipates heat far better then metal.
Go measure the brake calipers on the rear of a 2015 or later 3/4 ton or bigger truck. They are larger than those on a pre 2005 pickup. When factory tires on most pickups changed to 17 inch I believe around 2007-8 many were pissed because that meant the could no longer use their takeoffs on their farm equipment and trailers and many tried to revert to 16 inch stock wheels . It is not and wasn't possible. Why ? Because 16 inch wheels won't fit over the rear calipers.
While thermal capacity is one consideration taken into account for calculating stopping force it is not the primary factor.
The primary factor is the coefficient of friction.
Federal law mandates that vehicles must come to a stop from a certain speed in a certain distance.
Larger pistons within the caliper are one way of increasing the friction applied to the rotor from the brake pad to provide the needed force to stop the vehicle within the required distance.
Another push to rear disc brakes was the federal mandates of four wheel abs.
Abs is possible with front disc rear drum. But it was difficult if not impossible for most manufacturers to meet the requirements with rear drum brakes and it be financially viable!

Last edited:
So you are claiming rotor size has not increased??
Brake calipers do not significantly stick up above the rotor, no matter the size of the caliper. Go take a wheel off and have a look.
The thickness of the rotor is offset by increased diameter with regards to cooling. This isn't rocket surgery, if you take the time and use your Googler I'm sure you will discover this.

Correct larger brakes necessitated 17" wheels. Guys may have been mad about that until they found out a new 1/2 ton will legally tow what their old 3/4 would or more. Or they hooked 25k lbs of hay behind their 3/4 ton and felt confident they could stop it.

So you are claiming rotor size has not increased??
Brake calipers do not significantly stick up above the rotor, no matter the size of the caliper. Go take a wheel off and have a look.
The thickness of the rotor is offset by increased diameter with regards to cooling. This isn't rocket surgery, if you take the time and use your Googler I'm sure you will discover this.
Maybe if you used one of them there measurement doohickey thingamobobs you would understand that calipers extend above the rotors more than 2 inches. Much more in some applications.
If you use the googley thingomobber you will find that rotor thickness has decreased not increased. You will also find the best rotors for dissipating heat are the thinner ones with groves machined into them to increase heat dissipation. You would also find out that the majority of braking occurs at the rear wheels not the front . So more stoping force must be applied to the rear than the front. Most brake systems also apply pressure to the rear axle prior to the front axle.
Don't need the googley thing to tell me what I did daily for over 30 plus years.

Maybe if you used one of them there measurement doohickey thingamobobs you would understand that calipers extend above the rotors more than 2 inches. Much more in some applications.
If you use the googley thingomobber you will find that rotor thickness has decreased not increased. You will also find the best rotors for dissipating heat are the thinner ones with groves machined into them to increase heat dissipation. You would also find out that the majority of braking occurs at the rear wheels not the front . So more stoping force must be applied to the rear than the front. Most brake systems also apply pressure to the rear axle prior to the front axle.
Don't need the googley thing to tell me what I did daily for over 30 plus years.
Got it. So in your world the calipers have grown taller over the rotors and the rotors have not changed. What colour is the sky there?

Funny thing drum brakes don't require calipers . And the required space between brake drum and wheel is smaller then the area of required space between rotor and wheel because a caliper has to be Inbetween the rotor and the wheel.
Federal regulations such as reduced stoping distance , four wheel abs among others lead to vehicle manufacturers moving from rear drum to rear disc brakes.
More stopping force is applied to the rear axle of a vehicle then the front axle to maintain steerability . Increased stopping force required bigger pistons in the rear calipers. It is common to have smaller calipers and brake pads on the front axle of pickups and larger vehicles then the rear axle . Some may have same size front and rear but not smaller on the rear.
Basic science says increased stopping requires increased force and or increased stopping surface. Not hard to understand most stopping force is applied to rear axle . So more stopping force is required at rear axle then front axle. Only so many ways to increase that force .
Leading to larger calipers on rear . Meaning bigger wheels to be allow for more larger calipers.

Don't make me bring my goat too!!

I didn't get to watch many calves sell today. But the ones I did see, were pretty darn expensive. I think the supply chain ain't keeping up! Too many calf factories sent to slaughter.

Crazy thing was, lots of nice 2 to 5 year old pairs from 2200 to 2750. 1100lb pairs. Not big cows but that's still down a bit from where we were a few weeks ago.

The reason there was a muffler shop on every corner was because they were simple systems that you could fix. Didn't have to have thousands of dollars of equipment to ensure your repair was up to epa emission regulations. You bought a stick of pipe bent it to fit picked a standard muffler of the shelf and welded everything together.
Same for mechanics they where mechanics not like today where they are computer diagnostic technicians and need a 100k machine to be able to diagnose the issue.
Why did we switch to aluminized exhaust pipe? Because with all the additional emission requirements the exhaust isn't hot enough to burn off the moisture that accumulated in the exhaust system.
As far as brakes being bigger today. I think you need to get your tape measure out. The stopping surface of the brake actually decreased by a significant amount when vehicles went from drum brakes to disc brakes. Wheel size increased because of the calipers on the rear wheels. Drum brakes didn't require calipers .
the reason for a muffler shop on every corner was because the old exhaust systems didn't last. We have 3 pickups with at least 150,000 and 1 with well over 200,000 that have had nothng in exhaust changed

Latest posts