Auto catch squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

TBH, we have a preifert with an auto-catch function but we tried it once and it just seemed to spook them too much. We always run different sizes in together a lot so usually we're adjusting the squeeze as we go anyway

To me, they only work well with wild cattle. The concept is awesome, but I may run a huge cow thru, then a yearling or even a calf. If I got a new one, I would get one that you catch from the back end, not right at the headlock.
Edit: Q-catch

I am not a auto catch fan. Like was said they work good on wilder cattle. Cows that have been through one a number of times just hang up. They have been fooled before. A manual with a back stop set to keep them at least half way into the chute works best for me. Giving shots to bigger calves or yearlings I don't bother to catch their head.

I have a couple of old saloon door type headgates that work as auto or manual. Have caught a bunch over the years with the auto. Especially when by myself. Biggest thing with this type is to make sure it is lubricated and moves freely. Open it up enough for their head to pass through but not their shoulders and get behind them and walk them into it. Works good on tame or wild cattle. And better on tamer cattle than other types bc they don't have to "hit" it. They just push it closed. Have had a few that try to knock them off the posts. Works good on them too. With that being said I prefer to catch manually. But when by myself the auto is the only way.

Latest posts