August 1, 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Moved cows so they could get down onto the creek pasture.. Could not believe how green it is for August.. Our area is still setting at over 200% of normal moisture.. This old semi-desert country is looking pretty good..

Rounding them up out of the hills to move them down toward the creek..Lazy Bar B Juanadamere 5W 16312415 and her bull calf checking us out.

Cows didn't move much once they hit the grass on the creek..

A spring fed waterhole on the creek..

DDA Zelda 204 17485322 and her heifer calf up to their belly in grass.. A young cow we bought last fall from Diamond D Angus..

Cows thought they found the land of milk and honey- stand in the water getting out of the bugs and eat grass from the shore..

kickinbull":3c9s407h said:
Oldtimer, nice pics. Is this the norm for you bringing cows down to creek Aug. 1?

No- often we have to open it up so they can come down to the creek in July or sometimes even June when the water in the big pasture starts getting low/bad.. This year they have water everywhere- so we waited to opening the gate into the creek.. I'm sure that after a few days grazing there they will head back over into the big pasture and into the hills to get out of the bugs- since this year there is water and grass in abundant supply..

with that water I can bet the bugs would be bad,.. feed sure looks good though.

We started off the year really hot and dry, up into the high 80's in April and 90's in May, June was hit-and-miss for haying, July has been very wet with 4" since mid month or so, or about 1/3rd of our yearly precipitation... the prickly pear cacti are all fat and round, and the burnt hillsides are nearly turning green again.. never seen that before.. Also, no forest fires at all in the area, you couldn't start a campfire if you tried.. very unusual, but I'll take it while I can get it.. sure eases the irrigation work I need to do

Dogs and Cows":1yqubssy said:
Beautiful cows, grass, and wildflowers! Are the flowers usually so abundant or has the rain really helped them along? When you say bugs...mostly biting flies?

Thanks!

Tim
Lots more with the rain.. Lots of sweet clover around the area this year... And by bugs biting flies, mosquito's, and gnats..Every water hole has standing water so the mosquito's have been hatching in abundance..

gizmom- Thanks .. This is great cattle country when you get abundant moisture... We will wean the last week of October... Sell the steer calves- keep the bull calves and the heifers we decide to register either for replacements or to sell as seedstock..

Latest posts