argh! can someone help with electrolyte instructions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
grabbed some electrolytes at the feed store without looking close and of course baby girl was a little loose this morning so thought I would give this for evening feed but I can't figure out what I bought. durvet vitamins and electrolytes. intructions for water additive seem to indicate a half packet in 55 gallons of water!!! what the heck???

also had instructions for as a feed additive - 1 packet per ton.

used to get stuff that said mix 2 packets for a bottle...what did I do?

original thread: https://www.cattletoday.com/threads/need-to-make-up-a-bottle-for-tonight.128905

Last edited:
I found an old packet of re-sorb. expired in 2008. guess it has been a while since we had a bottle baby with diarrhea. or maybe I had some fresh and used it. I honestly can't remember the last bottle calf.

In all the bottle babies I've raised, I've never used electrolytes.
If one gets to scouring, I'll shove a tablet down its throat, and the problem is gone in a day or so. I provide fresh water and milk.

Idk the name of them, but @TCRanch does. Big blue tablet the vet give me.

1 tablet per 50lbs of calf weight. Usually they get 2 tabs

If one gets to scouring, I'll shove a tablet down its throat, and the problem is gone in a day or so. I provide fresh water and milk.

probably some antibiotic, I have only some injectables - really old penicillin and some liquamycin but it is all irrelevant. I think the looseness was maybe the too much cream I used the first feeding. she pooped a normal yellow calf milk diet poop after the bottle tonight and I think I saw a little tail movement when she peed! mostly it seemed to just run out but she grunted a little like maybe she was "pushing"

it seems like we used to raise one or two almost every year but it has been a LONG time. these days I mostly give away (inflict?) dogies to the guys that come help brand. the usual thing if they got scours was to take them off milk for 24 hours or so and feed electrolytes instead, maybe give a shot or something oral but not always.

I didn't have much time to work with her today and it was drizzling (YAY!) this evening so I just fed and tried to make a dryish bed for tonight. I think we might put her in the hay barn tomorrow since there are chances of thunderstorms all week.

maybe I should make this story into a thread like some of yours? can we get threads combined I wonder?

Sounds like Sustain III calf size.
Is that right TC?

sounds like Terramycin Scour Tablets (oxytetracycline)...

Hippie Rancher, did you purchase electrolytes that go in a stock tank?

One year I hope to say the same thing...
yeah, I think the stuff I grabbed was to go in a tank or on top of feed. I found a pack of resorb in the vet junk box and went ahead and gave that to her tonight, but read above to see I probably didn't need to. I'm 20 miles from town so gotta make do and make good shopping lists. LOL

Here it is!
First page 2/3's way down.

Sustain sounds right

grabbed some electrolytes at the feed store..... what did I do?
You grabbed a packet of concentrated VITAMINS (with a whisper of electrolytes)

p.s.
return it or save it and use it this winter, fresh feeds have plenty of vitamins, the longer a feed is stored, the more vitamins are lost.

Last edited:
Yes, Sustain III calf boluses. I always keep them on hand for scours, foot rot and pasteurella. Sustain is a sulfamethazine instead of terramycin and one dose is effective for 3 days. Knocks out bacterial scours every time (in my world, catching it early). Side note: Sustain III Cattle Boluses are currently backordered on almost every website but I did find some on A to Z Vet Supply. Sure hope it's not like the calf boluses that were out of stock for almost 2 years.

Latest posts