Anyone Used Alamo Switch Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has used Switch grass and specifically Alamo Switch grass. How did it produce in a clay bottom pasture and how hard was it to establish and was it worth it? And how did cows do on it with keeping condition?

Hope I get some response. Suppose to be able to plant this grass in wet soil and soil that even has standing water after rain and it produce allot of forage. But that is reading the advertisement. Also suppose to be perrenial and you plant once and don't have to plant again. Still trying to wrap my mind around it will grow in saturated ground but still be drought resistent. Suppose to take the place of eastern gamma grass people used years ago.

My cows simply will not eat switch grass, young tender stuff, I thought. They stand and bawl until I move them.

turklilley":2w8lzooo said:
My cows simply will not eat switch grass, young tender stuff, I thought. They stand and bawl until I move them.

Do you know if it's the Alamo variety? I'm reading that the Alamo has a higher sugar content than the regular.

I have planted Alamo Switchgrass for various applications. Mainly plant in low wet, standing water areas to break the landscape and provide for wildlife habitat. Does very well on upland appications as well. Have baled for hay on occasions. The best pratice is to burn off at least every other year approximately 2 weeks before greenup...usually around the last week of February in my area of NE Texas. It will greenup and grow at an amazing rate and should be cut as early as late April if you have a weather opportunity. Then you can cut 2-3 more times but no later than September 15th to get growth before frost.
Its amazing to watch it burn off, thick black smoke with flames 25 feet into the air and popping like fireworks. We make a family ritual out of it each year. Have suggestions on successful establishment if anyone is planning to plant any.
bellboer

Bellboer thanks for the response. I am looking into planting some and would take any advice you have in getting it established. NE Texas climate is not to different from my climate in northern half of Alabama. Do you think drilling or broadcasting is the better way to go about it?

u4411clb, Glad to provide you with planting and establishment advice. I prefer to broadcast on a well prepared and FIRM seedbed. Due to the seed being extremely small, I mix with fertilizer and use 3 point broadcast spreader. 2-3 Lbs/ac pls will be adequate. So if I was planting say 5 acres, I would mix 15 lbs seed with 50 lbs of fertilizer and try to set spreader to apply 1/2 the amount so I would go over the area twice to ensure good coverage. Hope this is making sense. I personally prefer not to cover due to the seed size, but be extremely careful to not cover deeply if you do choose to drag. I have had success drilling as well (reclaimed temporary terraces come to mind).
Mid-March to late-May seeding has been successful for me. What type areas and for what purpose are you planting Switchgrass? I am a livestock as well as a wildlife person, so it is very desirable. It tends to break the monotony of a pastureland landscape and provide valuable cover and edge effect for wildlife. I have literally stepped on white-tail deer bedded down in it. Good luck with your effort.
bellboer

I am going to plant mainly for livestock. I have some low lying areas along a creek bed and also some acres that I built terraces on to keep top soil from washing away and redirected some water off of some of it. It used to be crop land but I am turning it into pasture. What is the typical length of the growing season where you are located? I could probably establish fescue and clover in these areas but wanted something with a slightly different growing season to fill in when fescue starts to slack off after say mid may until it comes back in September. And I know bermuda won't thrive in this field.

Here it starts greening up right after burning off..early March and grows until frost kicks it back. Since it is a bunch grass, pay special attention and don't overgraze. Sounds like it should thrive in the areas you described. Good luck.

Latest posts