Anybody drink water from PVC pipes?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well I'm screwed. We have PVC from the pump at the bottom of the well all the way to the house. I can't think of any well pumps around here that don't have PVC pipe joints (with stainless couplers) between the pump and the pitless adapter.
I thought the same thing when I read it. That's how most modern wells are.

Mine has pvc down about 850' ft to the bottom of the well, it was originally cast iron but I changed it when I had to replace the pump. The run to the pressure tank is cast and the house is copper. But after about 30 years, I am not too worried.

Edit: If I was replacing or repairing the inside pipe now, I would use Pex.

Last edited:
They didn't drink from pipes at all when my grandfather was a kid. In my grandfather's adult life, pipes were made from all kinds of things we aren't supposed to make them out of now. I'm sure, seeing as how the house on our other property we didn't retain was built in the 1910's-20's, that I've drank a train car full of water from pipes that were sub optimal. Men on one side of my family have been averaging 76-77 for about 100 years or more and early 80s since the 1800s on the other side of the family. I reckon whatever does me in won't be no pipes. Sky's falling, we're somehow simultaneously approaching an ice age and bursting into flames, a man told me the other day the poles are going to flip, we're somehow overpopulated but our birth rate is declining, and the government is coming for everything.

Said it before, the world can only go to hell so fast. I ain't too concerned.
"...approaching an ice age & bursting into flames..." = balances out to static
"...poles going to flip..." = has happened numerous times in earth's history...800,000 years ago, a magnetic compass would have pointed south
"...overpopulated but birthrate declining..." = balances out to static
"...government coming for everything..." = now that could happen...lol

If someone wrote a peer-reviewed paper saying that people who have the most birthdays tend to live the longest, lots of folks would see it as some grand epiphany...lol

"...approaching an ice age & bursting into flames..." = balances out to static
"...poles going to flip..." = has happened numerous times in earth's history...800,000 years ago, a magnetic compass would have pointed south
"...overpopulated but birthrate declining..." = balances out to static
"...government coming for everything..." = now that could happen...lol

If someone wrote a peer-reviewed paper saying that people who have the most birthdays tend to live the longest, lots of folks would see it as some grand epiphany...lol
My main point was that every which way you turn they're dooming about something. Me? I ain't worried. I got enough trouble just keeping track of myself.

Well, add us another'n. Reckon we're gonna keep worrying about one thing more thing as a time until we're worried about everything.

Yes, I've drank from a PVC pipe, I've also used a Sawyer filter to drink water from muddy seeps and holes in mountains and been glad to have it.
I've considered buying a Sawyer system for a SHF situation. Do they work as advertised?

Well I'm screwed. We have PVC from the pump at the bottom of the well all the way to the house. I can't think of any well pumps around here that don't have PVC pipe joints (with stainless couplers) between the pump and the pitless adapter.
Plus the well casing…

I've considered buying a Sawyer system for a SHF situation. Do they work as advertised?
Handy as a shirt pocket, see their FQA on their websites for specifics on what you need. I've got two or three of them, I carry one anytime I'm going to be more than the day away from the truck. They've proven to be useful as can be on my multi-day through hikes in several states.

Hey, one rider to the tale since you asked, I don't think all of their models are charcoal filtered so they won't do anything against heavy metals, at least IIRC. Then again, I've only ever been three places where that was a problem. Also, if you hike/hunt/camp in a place where it gets cold or stays cold, keep your filter close to your body, especially at night when sleeping. If it freezes it can become compromised.

Edit: If I was replacing or repairing the inside pipe now, I would use Pex.
My old house has some very early form of Pex. It's grey. When I redid the bathroom I Teed off of the old Pex to run the water to shower and sink. For some reason the water from the hot line tastes fine, but the water from the cold tastes nasty.

Ever drunk from a water hose? Water hoses are vinyl, too. It's still pvc with lots of plasticizer to make it flexible. People say those plastizers are worse than the minute amount of vinyl chloride carcinogens in pvc pipe. They say they cause everything from prenatal deaths to hair loss because they mimic hormones and affect the endocrin system. Nearly every municipal or utility district water system has lots of pvc pipe.

As for me, I don't worry about any of it.
Sure beats lead pipes for sure.

Latest posts