Another..."last" update.

Help Support CattleToday:

Nurse cows and calves are work... especially in the beginning... Every cow is different... but it normally takes about 1-2 weeks to get a cow to fully accept a grafted on EXTRA calf. Once that is accomplished, then they can be turned out with the calves full time and you don't have to milk or can pen up the calves for 12 hours and milk the cow then not milk her again for 2 days as long as the calves are with her...
They are flexible once established, but are work to get to that place. It is like grafting a calf on a beef cow that lost one... but many cows will accept a calf after a couple days... but it becomes "their calf"... adding a second calf to a cow often is hard for her to "get it" when her own is standing right there. That is why separating the cow from the calves and then making sure they both (or how ever many you give them according to their milk production) go on the cow together so the cow accepts that there is more than one giving her "relief" from the pressure...AND... it is important that the calf gets that milk through their system so that their manure smells the same to the cow as her own calf... Watch how cows will sniff calves butts and identify their own calf that way... so this way the butt on the grafted calf smells the same as their own calf... and they say ... okay I guess this is mine, it smells right...

Some cows, like @MurraysMutts Bessie, will take anything anytime... I have had some that will mother anything you give them. I have had them where I put the cow in with the calves twice a day for 2-3 weeks and then when the calves are a little more aggressive and stronger/older, they finally learn to go on her together ... when the natural calf goes on the cow, the grafted one is smart enough to go on her at the same time... and they do fine.
But they are work... especially for the first couple weeks.

You might want to think about only having 2 as nurse cows and yes, to stagger the calves... it will keep Zeke and Miss Mattie, in milk and be about all that they need to do... having several calving at the same time is alot of work... I had 5 come fresh within a month of each other... with a total of 17 calves in the barn... but I was younger, stronger, and could shove and push calves around to go on certain cows and luckily a couple of the cows would let anything nurse them. There was one in that bunch that would not let any but the 3 I started on her, get anywhere close to her... but the others would have calves going from one to another ...
Switching out to start new calves on them and weaning their "original calves off" is a tough row for some cows, and some people... it might be too hard on Zeke to manage it... because he is going to feel sorry for the original calves and they have to be taken away so they cannnot get back to the cow... and there are cows that just won't accept switching out... and some do fine with it also. But it is a balance of getting the new ones started and gradually weaning off the bigger ones and you have to have ways to separate them and control nursing time for the new ones so they don't get too much milk in the beginning, letting the older calves "finish up" the cow and then letting the new ones have more milk and the older ones getting cut back until the new ones are getting all the milk and the older ones get weaned.

Plus, doing that, the older ones will often try to go back on the cow if they are put back together later on.... I never let the raised up "nurse" calves near any milking cows until after they have their own first calf... by then they usually quit trying to suck... but sold one that would not quit sucking her "sisters" in the group even after they all calved... I would catch her sucking another of the first calf heifers from the back when their own calf was sucking from the side... nose flap and all in the cow did not deter her... I got totally pissed off and shipped her and her calf... maybe she quit after she got somewhere that she was not in familiar territory... maybe she just got sent to slaughter... didn't care at that point. Fact is, grafted on calves, put on dairy cows, will very often become like bummer lambs and go around and suck off anything that stands for them... so there is a down side to raising calves on nurse cows...

The easiest way is to get them to accept 1 or 2 extras in the beginning... and let them raise them up until they need to be weaned and sold and the cow goes dry. That is the way I do it now because of the work. The calves grow real good, and by the time you are ready to wean them, the cow is ready for a break and it usually goes pretty well...
The amount of milk they make will be dependent on the amount of, and the quality of, the grass they are eating and usually some supplemental grain to keep them wanting to come in for milking and such.

Oh, when i said to separate the calves, I meant keep the 2 calves together and separate from the cow... the more the calves stay together, the better they learn to do things together.. both go on the cow at the same time sleep together, and such... You want them to be like the Bobbsey Twins.. do everything together....

Oh, when i said to separate the calves, I meant keep the 2 calves together and separate from the cow... the more the calves stay together, the better they learn to do things together.. both go on the cow at the same time sleep together, and such... You want them to be like the Bobbsey Twins.. do everything together....
That brings up a good topic as well!
SOMETIMES, most times, them babies will suck the other calfs navel and you gotta seperate them until the calves are no longer wet navel calves. Them aggressive little babies will suck a wet door knob

Yes, I did think you meant three stalls: One for each calf, and one to let Gail in , to let her nurse a calf at a time. Keeping the calves in one will be so much easier! I think Zeke will like it to have two babies in a pen by their selves. He can get in there and play with them, etc.

And I think this year, we will just buy a calf for Gail and the Hereford-Guernsey cow, and not try to add others to them this year. That H-G cow was also a family milk cow ,that they raised extra babies on each year. The other two are heifers , and I think this year we will just let them raise their calves. Scott called the dairy dude, and he had one born yesterday too. This cow is a half Guernsey half Brown Swiss cow, and the bull was the same red Brahma that bred Gail. It is a heifer and Scott is going to get it Sunday. He had left me a voicemail, telling me about that calf and how much it costs. I almost had a stroke...the man wants $500!!! I guess in my mind, I had been thinking about a $100 Holstein bull calf. But, I called him back and said let's get it, and just buy it out of the S-corp account, and not use Zeke's money. Or, I said me and you can just buy it out of our own pockets. Scott wanted to do that, so I told him since he was doing all the work, that I would just pay the whole $500. I told him that if we had took the money we gave for Gail. And the guer x herf cow. And the money I gave for the other two. And that $500, and had put it in Zeke's mutual fund.... He stopped me right there and said: " Don't tell me...I don't wanna know. Besides what fun is that?!! "

Sadly, that price is not too far out of whack... the holstein/ black angus calves here are bringing 3-500 and holstein bull calves 2-400... Totally out of range of what I would like to pay either. But, if it has had at least 2-3 days of colostrum, it will have a good start...
If Gail is used to being tied, I would tie her in the stall with a little grain to occupy her for the first couple of times of getting the calves started on her so she can't turn around and try to favor hers... I guess you guys will get a good crash course education on nurse cows and calves...

@MurraysMutts , @farmerjan ...y'all just been trying to rattle my cage about how hard it is to graft a calf,. Last night Scott called and said dairy dude wanted him to come get the calf this morning .,that he and his wife had an emergency and was leaving town when they finished milking at 6:30 AM. Told Scott he could bring just $450 because of the inconvenience. So Scott and Zeke went over there this morning, and got the calf. Put it in a tow sack with its head out and laid it in back of the truck. Scott said the man didn't let her nurse this morning on purpose, so it would be hungry when it got Mattie's place. When they got there it was bawling its head off. Zeke carried it to the gate and Scott let him in to carry it to the panels they had set up this morning. He said Gail came from back of the pasture at a dead run, bawling her head off, running off and leaving Apple Brown Betty to try to catch up. He said she slid to a stop like a reining horse, and started sniffing and licking on the calf. Calf took about 20 seconds to find her udder, and Gail just let her suck while she turned her head and licked its butt. When ABB caught up, she latched on to the other side, and they both had a good breakfast! And that was it! Easy as can be! They fed Gail a little feed, and when she was done, she walked back to the back of the pasture with both her babies right behind her, and Zeke walking beside her. Scott said he decided right then that even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet didn't have enough money to buy Gail, and when the times comes...she will have a spot in our dog and horse graveyard! Oh and this new heifer? Zeke has named her Red Rocket!! That boy is a damned sight!

Honestly, I was NOT trying to scare you or rattle your cage... BUT I wanted you to be aware that grafting a calf is not always a perfect walk in the park...
However... as @MurraysMutts "Bessie" and one of my nurse cows in the past... "Patience"... will show you... and now "Gail".... it can be as simple as them hearing a "baby cry" and deciding that they needed to go take care of it.... Just make sure that Zeke sees it nurse a few times so that she doesn't decide, that wait a minute... this is not my baby... and on rare occasion they will do that.
Having the calf "hungry" is also the best way to go...so they really are enthusiastic about needing to eat that first meal on a "strange cow"...

Yep, a nurse cow like that is worth their weight in gold... and if you want to feed her a little more grain, she would most likely welcome a 3rd calf if she has the milk...
Some are born to be mother's... to any and all....

I am REALLY GLAD, that Gail is looking to be one of the "perfect " nurse cows...

She knows Zeke probably saved her life.... just like Bessie knew when @MurraysMutts brought her home and she got fed and all that, that she could pay him back with raising all the multitude of calves that she has fed for him...

Bless Zeke's heart... what ever are you going to do with all these heifers.... you know he is not going to want to sell them...... Need to raise a bull/steer also so he can get back a little money towards his feed bills or into his retirement/savings account...

YAY for Gail....

Love it!!

Yep! That's just the way Bessie is too!
Any time I bring a new calf she automatically thinks it's hers. Heck, for a while there I was buying 50 dollar calves and she was sharing duties with Eleanor and my other jersey before her. Those cows made me a LOT of cash.

Eleanor was not near as easy as Bessie tho.
Bessie will just take ANYTHING.

And like @farmerjan said. GOLD!!
I wouldn't sell her for nothing.

Honestly, I was NOT trying to scare you or rattle your cage... BUT I wanted you to be aware that grafting a calf is not always a perfect walk in the park...
However... as @MurraysMutts "Bessie" and one of my nurse cows in the past... "Patience"... will show you... and now "Gail".... it can be as simple as them hearing a "baby cry" and deciding that they needed to go take care of it.... Just make sure that Zeke sees it nurse a few times so that she doesn't decide, that wait a minute... this is not my baby... and on rare occasion they will do that.
Having the calf "hungry" is also the best way to go...so they really are enthusiastic about needing to eat that first meal on a "strange cow"...

Yep, a nurse cow like that is worth their weight in gold... and if you want to feed her a little more grain, she would most likely welcome a 3rd calf if she has the milk...
Some are born to be mother's... to any and all....

I am REALLY GLAD, that Gail is looking to be one of the "perfect " nurse cows...

She knows Zeke probably saved her life.... just like Bessie knew when @MurraysMutts brought her home and she got fed and all that, that she could pay him back with raising all the multitude of calves that she has fed for him...

Bless Zeke's heart... what ever are you going to do with all these heifers.... you know he is not going to want to sell them...... Need to raise a bull/steer also so he can get back a little money towards his feed bills or into his retirement/savings account...

YAY for Gail....
Scott said Gail acted like it was her baby, and they had found it and was bringing it back to her! LOL!!! I was kidding about "rattling my cage" ; I appreciate all your help and advice. And

Zeke won't want to sell any steers they might have either, so at least we can raise more calves from those heifers, if I don't sell them as yearlings. That's why I had to buy that LH cow with the Braunvieh calf the other day, because he made a pet out of that God-awful ugly Brama/Chiania/Corrientes steer we were gonna butcher in for him and Mattie. Soon as quail/rabbit season is over, they all going back to the Kudzu place Feb til Nov, and back on the row crop pasture Nov-Feb. and Zeke will rarely see them.

Scott went and checked on them a couple times before dark today. 1st time all three were stretched out in the sun....Zeke leaning his back on Gail, singing George Strait, while she slept, with a calf asleep on both sides of his legs....his arms resting on them.

Actually, we talked tonight, and we have a pointer and beagle gonna both whelp any day now, and once the do, they gonna get all of Zeke's attention for a while, so me and Scott are thinking about taking them back over to the row crop pasture, while Zeke and Mattie are at church next Sunday. . And bring that Braunveih calf back, along with that giant ugly steer of Zeke's (for a companion) and wean it and get it started eating feed. We can put a halter on Zeke's steer and lead it on the trailer. But, I will have to rope the calf and drag it on the trailer. But, I can go in my little Nissan truck down there, and just carry my saddle. I will use one of Scott's horses.

I think you are right about Gail taking a third calf, but that's just too much right now. We gonna put one with the HERF/GUERN when she calves this spring, and that's all the nurse cow business we will do this year. Most likely, she will be as easy as Gail was to add one to.

Love it!!

Yep! That's just the way Bessie is too!
Any time I bring a new calf she automatically thinks it's hers. Heck, for a while there I was buying 50 dollar calves and she was sharing duties with Eleanor and my other jersey before her. Those cows made me a LOT of cash.

Eleanor was not near as easy as Bessie tho.
Bessie will just take ANYTHING.

And like @farmerjan said. GOLD!!
I wouldn't sell her for nothing.
I understand why you won't now. And I hope when she gets old, you won't send her to the sale! Just start you a grave yard!

@farmerjan , @MurraysMutts : The two other dairy heifers will calve in Feb or March....I will have to look back and see. They will be about 30 months old when they calve, and they are having Brama heifer calves. One is 1/2 Jersey 1/2 Guernsey, and the other is 1/2 Jersey 1/2 Brown Swiss. . We have already decided we probably won't fool with putting another on them this time. Do y'all think we can just let them raise their own calf, or will they produce too much milk, for their calf to handle alone, if we don't add another and/or milk them? They won't have anything to eat but rough, un-improved pasture, but there is 100 acres of Kudzu that is 24-26% protein. I always thought you had to feed these dairy cows a lot of specialty feed for them to have those big ole bags like they do in the dairies. I wouldn't want these to develop that kind of udder, just raising 1 calf I wouldn't think.

Honestly, if they are dairy on both sides, 1/2 jersey 1/2 guernsey or the other 1/2 swiss, they are going to produce too much milk for one calf unless they are on starvation diets. They don't need a big bag to produce alot of milk. Honestly they will most likely need a 2nd calf and then cannot get alot of real good feed or they will produce too much milk even then. It is in the genetics.... Most dairy animals today will make 30-60 lbs of milk a day on mediocre diets... that's 4-6 gallons a day or so..... It might be in your best interest if you are not wanting to fool with nurse cows, to advertise them and sell them to someone wanting a family milk cow... or you are going to have to at least give them 1 more calf each. If they make too much milk, they will get mastitis and ruin a quarter or 2, and that is fine if you just want them to raise one calf and they only have a 1/2 functioning udder... but that is not good for the cow and if they were to develop gangarene mastitis, or get coliform or kelbsiela mastitis they could die. A 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef cow, like the other one you have, will not make as much milk and could get by with just her own calf most times... but it depends on which side of the gene pool they take after... I have seen many 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef cows make several gallons a day and people have milked them for their own use and raised several calves on them too....
Unless the cow is a real poor dairy animal making 20-30 lbs a day, which she shouldn't be on a dairy, any straight dairy animal is going to make way more milk than a calf can handle. Another thing... they can scour the calf to where it can die from just way too much milk causing it to get the squirts, then they dehydrate and die...

Honestly, if they are dairy on both sides, 1/2 jersey 1/2 guernsey or the other 1/2 swiss, they are going to produce too much milk for one calf unless they are on starvation diets. They don't need a big bag to produce alot of milk. Honestly they will most likely need a 2nd calf and then cannot get alot of real good feed or they will produce too much milk even then. It is in the genetics.... Most dairy animals today will make 30-60 lbs of milk a day on mediocre diets... that's 4-6 gallons a day or so..... It might be in your best interest if you are not wanting to fool with nurse cows, to advertise them and sell them to someone wanting a family milk cow... or you are going to have to at least give them 1 more calf each. If they make too much milk, they will get mastitis and ruin a quarter or 2, and that is fine if you just want them to raise one calf and they only have a 1/2 functioning udder... but that is not good for the cow and if they were to develop gangarene mastitis, or get coliform or kelbsiela mastitis they could die. A 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef cow, like the other one you have, will not make as much milk and could get by with just her own calf most times... but it depends on which side of the gene pool they take after... I have seen many 1/2 dairy 1/2 beef cows make several gallons a day and people have milked them for their own use and raised several calves on them too....
Unless the cow is a real poor dairy animal making 20-30 lbs a day, which she shouldn't be on a dairy, any straight dairy animal is going to make way more milk than a calf can handle. Another thing... they can scour the calf to where it can die from just way too much milk causing it to get the squirts, then they dehydrate and die...

Ok, that's what I was afraid of. We gotta come up with a plan by February. That half Hereford cow was milked and raised an extra calf by the people we got her from, so I am hoping this goes with her like Gail's new calf adventure did. And those 2 heifers may do ok as well. They are dead-broke gentle. They raised them on a bottle, and used them in a petting zoo like thing until he got killed on the bike. I even thought we might put both of their calves on one of them, and just use the other for Mattie's milk cow.

Scott said today, it was 70 down there and clear weather, so Mattie told Zeke she was gonna show him how to milk a cow. She had Zeke go get Gail, and lead her back to the house. The calves just followed her. She had Zeke lead Gail up on the porch!! Had him position her close to the edge, so she could stand up to milk! Then she told Zeke to come down there with her so she could show him what to do. He just dropped the lead rope and jumped down beside Mattie. Scott said he walked up and held the rope from the ground, but no need to. Gail just stood there with her eyes half closed...about to go to sleep! Mattie told Scott that Zeke got the hang of it quick, and did just fine. Scott tried it and she told him he did great, too! :)

The chances of the other 3 being as easy as Gail are slim to none, but who knows? We may luck up! I told Scott that even if they all 4 worked out, let's still not get any more, and he agreed.

Ok, that's what I was afraid of. We gotta come up with a plan by February. That half Hereford cow was milked and raised an extra calf by the people we got her from, so I am hoping this goes with her like Gail's new calf adventure did. And those 2 heifers may do ok as well. They are dead-broke gentle. They raised them on a bottle, and used them in a petting zoo like thing until he got killed on the bike. I even thought we might put both of their calves on one of them, and just use the other for Mattie's milk cow.

Scott said today, it was 70 down there and clear weather, so Mattie told Zeke she was gonna show him how to milk a cow. She had Zeke go get Gail, and lead her back to the house. The calves just followed her. She had Zeke lead Gail up on the porch!! Had him position her close to the edge, so she could stand up to milk! Then she told Zeke to come down there with her so she could show him what to do. He just dropped the lead rope and jumped down beside Mattie. Scott said he walked up and held the rope from the ground, but no need to. Gail just stood there with her eyes half closed...about to go to sleep! Mattie told Scott that Zeke got the hang of it quick, and did just fine. Scott tried it and she told him he did great, too! :)

The chances of the other 3 being as easy as Gail are slim to none, but who knows? We may luck up! I told Scott that even if they all 4 worked out, let's still not get any more, and he agreed.

Gail has turned into the perfect cow for Zeke... and like I said, she "knows" that Zeke saved her life and is giving back in the best way she knows how...they sense things sometimes...
It would be like a divine intervention if all 4 turned out to be this good... but sounds like the hereford cross has been down that road so hopefully will do as good. The others I won't venture an opinion... I love to look at brown swiss, but am not a fan of them... and sometimes "pet " cows can be either sweethearts in the barn or real witches.... And maybe by then, Zeke will have this baby calf/milking thing down... some things just come better to some people and maybe it is his thing to work with these cows.... and could get the other 2 to do it for him as well.... and maybe if they are difficult it could be too upsetting for him to deal with... I am hoping that he manages it all real well...

@farmerjan last two posts are spot on.

Better listen! I couldn't say it any better for sure.

Mastitis is nasty stuff. Got to have at least one extra calf per cow. That's why I get them early and bottle em for a few days or a week or two if I have to. When u need a calf, u need it NOW! Ain't no time to be running around looking everywhere only to be disappointed no one has one. At any price!

No way will I pay more than 300 for a GOOD BEEF CALF. And at 300 it better be PERFECT!

Latest posts