Angus: Countdown is on $M

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreekAngus

Reaction score
Tomorrow those of us with registered cattle will wake up with whole new herds. My breed leading $B cows will no longer be worthy of mention. I wonder who the $M value leader will be?

I'm interested.

I left my "cow bible" at work so I could take note in the morning. I printed out my old reports today. I'm gonna go rainman on my old maternal numbers.

When I retired, I returned to my home state of Kentucky. I had purchased a rundown farm a few years earlier. I decided to put some cattle on it. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer. Renovated the farm, rebuilt the infrastructure, and fenced it. I started out with 4 gigantic cows that I bought from my brother. I enjoyed it enough to decide to move up. I ask a local vet, what breed do you recommend. He said "Simmental". I have often thought that I would have been just as happy with Angus. But after spending a few years on Cattle Today, I am very glad that I did not choose Angus.

Bright Raven said:
When I retired, I returned to my home state of Kentucky. I had purchased a rundown farm a few years earlier. I decided to put some cattle on it. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer. Renovated the farm, rebuilt the infrastructure, and fenced it. I started out with 4 gigantic cows that I bought from my brother. I enjoyed it enough to decide to move up. I ask a local vet, what breed do you recommend. He said "Simmental". I have often thought that I would have been just as happy with Angus. But after spending a few years on Cattle Today, I am very glad that I did not choose Angus.

Me too.

Tomorrow those of us with registered cattle will wake up with whole new herds. My breed leading $B cows will no longer be worthy of mention. I wonder who the $M value leader will be?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cattle tomorrow will be the same as they were yesterday.
Respective registry number tweaking/crunching won't change reality an iota. The only thing affected will be your ego. Been there, done that. ;-)
Which top 5 bulls does one consider "maternal"?
Those who have a high percentage of dtrs bred to calve by 24 months, never have to touch throughout their lifetime and produced a decent coupon for at least 10 years.

Actual or numbered? A friend with RA was concerned that their association's herdbuilder and gridmaker or whatever they came up with only highlighted big boy's herds after development.

Logically, if chasing $B wrecked the breed, looking at lesser cattle in carcass and growth would be the first sift towards $M, then HP would start the story and ability to hang with the 365 production for enough years would round it out. But the convenience traits need to be there for good feet and legs, udders, disposition, adequate but not excessive milk ... My guess, EXT influence will be noted in the new value.

Bright Raven said:

:clap: :bang: :lol:

76 Bar said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cattle tomorrow will be the same as they were yesterday.
Respective registry number tweaking/crunching won't change reality an iota. The only thing affected will be your ego. Been there, done that. ;-)
Those who have a high percentage of dtrs bred to calve by 24 months, never have to touch throughout their lifetime and produced a decent coupon for at least 10 years.
the original post was tongue in cheek. I don't take myself serious enough to find my identity in four legged beasts. Tomorrow I will wake up with the pleasure of having God's creation in my back yard, regardless of their numbers or pedigree, it's a huge blessing.

My phone is almost dead and I'm "supervising" but I'm actually interested in how the $M plays out into what we correlate maternal.

A speaking engagement I went to, stated that $W was the maternal factor. Which I understand... but how will this al play out and what weighted average will each trait factor into the $M?

CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:

:cboy:

Observation: there is plenty of Angus bashing around this crazy place from non-Angus folks. You read it - no azz, the black hide caper, they can't handle heat, they are all propped up by promotion, etc. Etc.

But you Angus folks also do a lot of bashing. Mostly disparaging the Angus Association. Hardly a day goes by that Angus breeders are not condemning the accuracy or administration of the AAA EPDs. Angus folks also like to pick certain bulls and beat the stuffings out of them.

All in all, I am sincere in having reached the point that I am truly glad I did not pick Angus. At one time, I would have been totally happy with a herd of Angus in my pasture. But I am being totally candid, this forum has not portrayed them in a good light.

There are bound to differences of opinions when you're dealing with a breed as popular as Angus that attracts so many breeders from various backgrounds with divergent goals and objectives.

Niche breeds aren't similarly burdened.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
There are bound to differences of opinions when you're dealing with a breed as popular as Angus that attracts so many breeders from various backgrounds with divergent goals and objectives.

Niche breeds aren't similarly burdened.

But you expect the competition to always be gunning for the breed on the top of the heap. In this case, you guys are eating your own. Lol

Bright Raven said:
CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:

Observation: there is plenty of Angus bashing around this crazy place from non-Angus folks. You read it - no azz, the black hide caper, they can't handle heat, they are all propped up by promotion, etc. Etc.

But you Angus folks also do a lot of bashing. Mostly disparaging the Angus Association. Hardly a day goes by that Angus breeders are not condemning the accuracy or administration of the AAA EPDs. Angus folks also like to pick certain bulls and beat the stuffings out of them.

All in all, I am sincere in having reached the point that I am truly glad I did not pick Angus. At one time, I would have been totally happy with a herd of Angus in my pasture. But I am being totally candid, this forum has not portrayed them in a good light.

Alright, it's time to turn on the Sim folks, the wanna be Angus breed..... :banana: I joke My Dad ran Sims in the 80's, thus he and I both ended up in Angus, because nothing says,"life sucks" than having your arm up a cows rear trying to pull a calf. It's good to see the breed has made many strides in that area and to this day the Sim breed is beautiful.

CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:
CreekAngus said:

Alright, it's time to turn on the Sim folks, the wanna be Angus breed..... :banana: I joke My Dad ran Sims in the 80's, thus he and I both ended up in Angus, because nothing says,"life sucks" than having your arm up a cows rear trying to pull a calf. It's good to see the breed has made many strides in that area and to this day the Sim breed is beautiful.

The Simmental fans stick together, we don't cannibalize our own. :hide:

Bright Raven said:
CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:

The Simmental fans stick together, we don't cannibalize our own. :hide:

Good thing too, there's what? 15 of ya out there?

The criticism of how EPDs have been administered by AAA is profound. Ebenezer has particularly brought up several cases that suggest there are problems with the database. You cannot expect folks to read all the criticism of the AAA and feel good about joining in that breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.