An Escapade

Help Support CattleToday:

CreekAngus

Reaction score
We got one cow that is now going to be a fall calver, if we ever get her bred. Every time she goes through the chute it's been one escapade after another. Today we ran her to set up a cidr and she broke the welds on the head catch. By the time we get this done our chute is going to be fully rebuilt. First time she bent the arm that controls both sides of the head catch, second time blew the lag bolts right out of the posts, third time someone (me) dropped the bottle of gnrh and she stepped on the bottle. So fifth time just might be the charm. Mind you we did AI her in May and it didn't take and three months later we are still attempting the improbable.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Ky hills said:
If it was my cow, I'd either let a bull breed her, or send her down the road.

I agree. Do you do any AI Ky hills? We don't.

Used to have some done, but not for 3 or 4 years. I doubt we'll go that route anymore. Bulls just seem to do their job better first hand. I guess you could say we cut out the middle man.

I would challenge her to see how much damage she can do to your trailer on the way out.

T & B farms said:
She is either an extremely high value cow, or you have a lot more patience than me.

regardless of her value; to me, she wouldn't be worth keeping around. Her value would drop drastically after someone gets hurt.

I appreciate everyone's comments. 11 years ago I lost my farm and herd to a divorce. I have been incredibly blessed by the Lord to be able to come back 10 years later and start over. For me this cow is nothing but a pot hole in the drive way, I have experienced the lowest of lows, losing my family and all that I had. Should a cow destroy my head gate....oh well, time to rebuild the head gate. Thankfully Jesus has taken me through deep valleys, where getting a cow bred is the least of my concerns. Tonight I went out to feed my cattle, apples. The moment did not escape me, I've been blessed beyond measure, 11 years ago in my lowest of lows, never would I have imagined. So no, she will not go to town, go to the auction or go to slaughter. Rather I will be patient, keep rebuilding my head gate until that dang cow gets bred and when she calves, it will have been an accomplishment.

CreekAngus said:
I appreciate everyone's comments. 11 years ago I lost my farm and herd to a divorce. I have been incredibly blessed by the Lord to be able to come back 10 years later and start over. For me this cow is nothing but a pot hole in the drive way, I have experienced the lowest of lows, losing my family and all that I had. Should a cow destroy my head gate....oh well, time to rebuild the head gate. Thankfully Jesus has taken me through deep valleys, where getting a cow bred is the least of my concerns. Tonight I went out to feed my cattle, apples. The moment did not escape me, I've been blessed beyond measure, 11 years ago in my lowest of lows, never would I have imagined. So no, she will not go to town, go to the auction or go to slaughter. Rather I will be patient, keep rebuilding my head gate until that dang cow gets bred and when she calves, it will have been an accomplishment.

You sir have the patience of Job. Good luck with your cow.

The biggest reason to consider selling her, is she has a very LOW probability of settling to AI if she is that riled up in the chute. You might check with your vet & get some ACE. You can FEED it to her on some grain BEFORE you get her riled. Takes quite a while to work that way, but you might have a better chance of settling her to an AI service.

Latest posts