American Eskimo

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
I bought my wife an American Eskimo pup for Valentines Day and whoah I'll tell you what, we've never had this much trouble house breaking a dog! Luckily she only piddles in the house, but still it's getting to be ridiculous! I do love Sophies long white hair and when she gets a bath and it all lays down, she looks terrible. There's nothing to her but hair. She's going to go through a tough spring because I bet she'll get a bath three or more times a week from being outside in the mud and the barn.

Sounds like you have a little bit of buyer's remorse. Can't say I would be too happy with the 3 baths a week either but that's probably what you will have to do in order to keep the hair looking good. Shedding might be a problem too. We have a Corgi that is a shedding nightmare.

WHen I was younger we had one, he normally kept himself really clean, almost catlike. They are very patient dogs; whenever the farrier (sp?) would come out he would stand still and let me pretend to put nail horseshoes to his feet, lol.

ArrowHBrand":1zqsrzef said:
I bought my wife an American Eskimo pup for Valentines Day and whoah I'll tell you what, we've never had this much trouble house breaking a dog! Luckily she only piddles in the house, but still it's getting to be ridiculous! I do love Sophies long white hair and when she gets a bath and it all lays down, she looks terrible. There's nothing to her but hair. She's going to go through a tough spring because I bet she'll get a bath three or more times a week from being outside in the mud and the barn.

Interesting. I've had 6 Eskies, and never had a problem housebreaking any of them. I would caution against bathing a dog more than once a week, because it can lead to skin problems due to the removal of the natural oil.

If you still have the carrier put her in that at night and rush her out in the morning. If she still piddles in the house after that, I would look into a kennel that is outside.

Green Creek our Corgi LOVES to be vaccumed. I fire it up to do the house and he lays in front of me until I do him first. Shedding hair is not too much of a problem. Plugs my vaccum every once in a while though. :lol:

When she piddles in the floor, rub her face in it. I mean rub the snot out of her face.. make sure she knows that she did wrong. When I have one do that, I rub their face in it, spank, and kick outside.!!!!!

Sorry if that sounds harsh!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Tori

P.S. Any pictures???

Latest posts