always the best in the bunch

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
branding some big calves in the chute yesterday. the biggest, soggiest bull sat down like a dog and we could not get him up. had to drag him out with a horse and he never did get feeling back into his hind legs. not sure what happened, maybe he hit his head going in? nice calf, hate when it happens but know that it does. couldn't even get him up on his chest today so put him down just now. maybe he can keep the coyotes off my chickens for a few days. sigh.

Neighbor had one run in the chute wide open and broke its neck. I've had the automatic head catch miss the neck and catch them by the back hips. That makes it interesting quick

Hippie Rancher said:
maybe he can keep the coyotes off my chickens for a few days. sigh.

I would dump him and set a bunch of snares for coyotes. They are so easy to snare it's stupid. Clean up a whole pack pretty quick.

Aaron said:
Hippie Rancher said:

I would dump him and set a bunch of snares for coyotes. They are so easy to snare it's stupid. Clean up a whole pack pretty quick.

You sure that is just those Eastern Liberal coyotes? These ones here are actually a challenge. :D

Ky cowboy said:
Neighbor had one run in the chute wide open and broke its neck. I've had the automatic head catch miss the neck and catch them by the back hips. That makes it interesting quick

yeah, takes strength and eggs to try and do a body pin when you have a big one by the hips - especially if they are horned! done that (or watched, anyway) and have heard of broken necks. had a few almost conked out but never killed one. this one was odd, front end was ok, nothing on the back.

Aaron said:
Hippie Rancher said:

seems to be a loner and just need somebody to pay attention and get a shot at him but we have all been so busy the last few weeks. I will see him occasionally when I am in the car headed in or out to town. not enough human and domestic animals around the HQ lately. should be settling down, I hope. somebody will get him or he will get hit on the highway, hopefully.

gcreekrch said:
Aaron said:
Hippie Rancher said:

You sure that is just those Eastern Liberal coyotes? These ones here are actually a challenge. :D

Maybe? Eastern Coyotes are stupid with snares. Timberwolves are the real challenge - they let the coyote get caught and then eat the coyote carcass. Trail cam pics tell the tale every time. I would think those Western half-starved rat yotes would be more desperate for a meal - to heck with snares.

Quite different here Aaron, if you can catch coyotes you can catch most wolves.

Snared tons of coyotes. We put a dead elephant in a small clearing (a dead cow will work). Cut the hide so the birds can get to the meat easy. Birds working the carcass is what really makes this work. Set snares in every little trail coming into the clearing. It is surprising how rarely you catch a coyote with an empty stomach headed into the carcass. They are not nearly as careful once their stomach is full.
I would be tough to snare around the house. But set it between the dinner table and my recliner on Thanksgiving day I would be easy to catch.

Hippie Rancher said:
thanks, Ken. are you near any fires? read it was going to be pretty warm down there this week. I have been planning a trip to Australia for more than 10 years. Maybe in 2020.:lol2:
We are safe from the fires although the smoke is around us today, every time the wind turns from the east we get heavy smoke from a fire down the escarpment east of us that has been burning in inaccessable country for weeks now.

Look us up if you come for a visit.

Ken

Smoke here too, depending on wind direction, so has been smoke one or 2 days, then dust strorms the others....

Is bad coast to inland, south to north...east to west......

Some blaming greens for last decade, as fuel loads not burnt off as usual due to climate concerns with burning off....

So hows your climate now ?

Oh, yeah, you do not live where trees and fuel loads pose a problem.

Latest posts