Alice the second one just for you.......

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
A few recipes for everyones delight from the cook book from Papua New Guinea.....the most Un-American food stuff...with the exception of the Rednecks (Hillbillies) as I am told by few of them if it moves you can eat it. :roll: :lol:

Sago Grub Sate with Peanut Sauce

Steam three dozen Sago grubs. You may remove the heads, but it is not necessary. Combine the following ingredients, and heat, but do not boil, to make Sate Sauce:

5 - 6 oz. ground fresh roasted peanuts or the same amount best quality peanut butter 4-6 small, hot chiles, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed 1 stem lemon grass, chopped 1 tbsp lime juice 2 tbsp soy sauce 200 ml coconut milk

Put the grubs on a wooden skewer (six to a stick) and cover with half the sauce. Grill over a charcoal fire or in the oven for about 5 minutes. Then turn over, cover with the rest of the sauce and grill another 5 minutes. Serve with rice.

The same Sate Sauce goes beautifully with a Santa Fe kids' favorite,

Chicken on a Stick. Take a couple of skinless, boned chicken breasts, slice them the long way, an inch wide. Marinate for 10 minutes to overnight in a mix of chopped garlic, finely chopped ginger, and soy sauce (some like to mix in a bit of barbecue sauce). Then poke a skewer through the chicken, and grill until just done, turning once.

And from the mettle-testing menu of the as-yet-only-dreamed-of Extreme Cuisine Restaurant:

Flying Fox with Prunes and Cream Sauce

6 flying foxes (in case you are wondering, these are bats) 1 pound prunes 1 ¼ cup white wine salt, pepper 1/4 cup flour 2 oz. butter 1 tbsp red currant jelly 1 cup thick cream

Remove the flesh from the flying foxes. Either plunge the animals in boiling water for a while, then skin them and remove the flesh from the bones, or roast the animals for a little over an open fire, remove, and when cool, break open down the backbone and remove the flesh from the skin.

Soak the prunes overnight in 1 cup of the wine, then heat for about ten minutes in the wine before using. Season the flying fox meat with salt and pepper and roll in flour. Saute in butter over a low heat until brown. Add the rest of the wine, cover and cook another 20 minutes. Add the juice from the prunes, and transfer the prunes onto a serving dish. Cook the meat in the prune juice, uncovered, for another 10 minutes, then place on the serving dish with the prunes.

The preparation of the following recipe requires an ingredient which is now a protected species.

Paua Sup (Power Soup) First, catch your snake. This should be a python. Tie the snake to a pole and while still alive, skin and remove excess fat. Remove the gall bladder and keep for other culinary/medical purposes. Chop the snake into one inch lengths and place in a pot of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 hours. When cooking is complete, discard the water. (Boil the head of the snake separately, the liquid is useful as a remedy against choking.) Meanwhile, prepare separately stock from a chicken (an old one) and/or pork scraps, onion, chili, salt and pepper. While this is cooking, skim off the fat and discard. Cook for 3-4 hours, let cool and remove all extraneous elements. Prepare also a herb soup of abika cabbage and a large quantity of ginger. Combine all ingredients and reheat. As an optional extra, brandy may be added.

Excuse me while I go lose my dinner. :( :( Chrisy, I could have gone the rest of the year without reading that quite nicely, thank you very much. :p :p

Chris, my grandson is reading this over my shoulder. He keeps saying, "What?! :shock: What?! :shock: What?! :shock: ...would you do that?! :shock: That's gross! :shock: "

Alice

Angus/Brangus":1574loo3 said:
Sago grubs? Scewered?

How about we all just sit around and watch a cow eat her own afterbirth? There goes my appetite.

My grandson...quick as he is...went to this post. He said, "Gross, where do they come up with these things? I'd rather eat a worm...than read that...what kid of weirdos are on here!" Then we both busted out laughing!

Alice

Not sure what a Sago Grub is, but we got these big fat juicy things that are about 1 1/2 inches long. definitely grubs, and common in rotted wood in this country. anyway I collected about a dozen for the recipe. All ready to prepare the meal for the family and guess what? we only have generic peanut butter. :( :(

Alice":mpbx1yku said:
Chris, my grandson is reading this over my shoulder. He keeps saying, "What?! :shock: What?! :shock: What?! :shock: ...would you do that?! :shock: That's gross! :shock: "

Alice

Alice I think I remembered in another post you saying how much you hated Rats and Bats, when I thought about this book, and copied out a few of the gross recipies. It would have been great to see the faces while reading these, sorry just a worped sence of humour, sometimes. :( :lol:

vbd":18pz6h56 said:
Chrisy...I have to eat here, so please do not provide Alice with such recipes! :x

Van

sorry Van not over keen on the grub soup, there is supposed to be a lot of protein in them, more than steak I hear. :)

Chris, the look on my grandson's face was priceless. Wish you could've seen it! :lol:

Didn't see the look on Van's face when he read it...but I can imagine it! :shock: He can be real picky!

Alice

Latest posts