AI training

Help Support CattleToday:

Duramaxgirl

Reaction score
Where can I find information on AI training and classes? I'd like to learn and get certified. I am in northern Idaho... We currently have a decent Registered Hereford bull right now but when his time is up I'd like to AI my herd. Thanks for any help

Duramaxgirl said:
Where can I find information on AI training and classes? I'd like to learn and get certified. I am in northern Idaho... We currently have a decent Registered Hereford bull right now but when his time is up I'd like to AI my herd. Thanks for any help

The semen companies offer classes. Select Sires, Genex, etc.

Duramaxgirl said:

Give All West/Select Sires a call. 360-757-6093. You're up here in the NW, they are kind of the go to.

I took my class through ABS, but I think all the AI studs offer classes. you would need to call around to see when and where they offer classes that fit your schedule. I think you will enjoy mating your cows/heifers to bulls you like once you get started. It seemed like it took a long time for my first AI calf to hit the ground. good luck and remember that it is not always easy to learn a new skill, but practice makes perfect.

May also check with large Universities near your location. University of Kentucky puts on a couple AI classes every year.

Thank you for all the help! I will look into these suggestions. I think the university of Idaho might offer classes as well. I'm not to far from them.

Duramaxgirl said:
Thank you for all the help! I will look into these suggestions. I think the university of Idaho might offer classes as well. I'm not to far from them.

If they don't I'm pretty sure WSU does. But like I wrote earlier, AllWest does put on classes in the NW $500 for a two day course.

I took my course at UI a few years ago. The one I took was a 2 credit spring course and it included the state exam and licence upon passing. You do have to enroll as a part-time student but it got you a lot more hands on practice that just a weekend type class. In current course catalogs it looks like it's changed to a 300 level class and is 3 credits.

AVS 218 Artificial Insemination and Pregnancy Detection (2 cr)
Anatomy and physiology of pregnant and nonpregnant reproductive systems; artificial insemination; male reproduction; pregnancy detection in domestic livestock. Two 2-hr lec-labs a wk. Enrollment limited to 20 students. Preregistration required; consult dept administrator. Recommended Preparation: AVS 222. This is a cooperative course available to WSU degree-seeking students.

In the past I've seen a 3-day in Marsing, ID put on by Malheur County Livestock & Rangeland Extension Agent out of Oregon State Extension program.

SemanTank .com has a video on it for $100 it is really in-depth after you do a few cows and watch the video you got it you don't get certified but for personal use I recommend it.

Latest posts