Advice on planting lands

Help Support CattleToday:

SAman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of taking over a small dairy. There is around 40-50 Ha available for grazing of which most of it is wild grass found in the area. My goal is to get it all under kukuyu grass. I would also like to plant in sections of oats or rye grass. I am still learning more about it so am not certain about what will happen later. Nothing is set in stone. I am currently removing bush and weeds to clear up land. So it is now an important time to get planning and get things ready. My weather conditions are certainly great. Winters rarely go below 5 degrees celcuis. So no frost occurs unless it is an extreme weather condition. The area is known to have good rainfall but according to farmers in the area it has been very dry for around 3.5 years with minimal rain. I have not got infrastructure in to irrigate and hope to get there in the future.

Any advice and criticism on my plans will greatly be appreciated. Thank you

bird dog said:
A location would help get you some answers. I doubt many on this board are familiar with kukuyu grass. Tell us more about it.

Of course, I think kukuyu is grown more in southern Africa and Australia. Here are the basics of kukuya:
- grows to produce around 9 to 30 tons DM/Ha, depending on watering and adequate available Nitrogen
- Should be grazed from around 15cm down to 5cm to preserve forage quality
- very resistant to over grazing, tramping by cattle and dry conditions (however its growth slows profusely during droughts. Jumps back very quick when watered)
- farmers graze it hard in the autumn months and plant legumes in between (generally rye from the info I have read)
- it responds very well to fertilizer (I think that is dependent on any plant, as long as the ratios of fert are in order)
- grass grows in a narrow blade like formation and grows very densely together.
- very aggressive and will out compete almost all weeds and grasses.

I think that could help with giving a basic background on the grass. I am in South Africa. Have a very temperate climate. Great for growing. As I mentioned before we do get rain here but have had a bit of drought. So it has been a struggle to get the grass to take off.

If you don't know exactly what to plant use a mix of seeds including grasses, forbes and legumes. Find out the species and varieties used locally from local folks.

Your plan seems solid. No matter where you are at and what you are trying to grow, controlling the weeds and removing brush is the first process. Are you using a herbicide? Ebenezer has the right idea on looking at your neighbors to see what works for them. Your local farmers are gonna be your best source of information.

Kukuyu sounds like a great grass if you can irrigate. I wonder if it is planted anywhere in the U.S. ?

We have kikuyu here. It is a summer growing grass. I find it spreads really well in autumn up until our first frosts. I propogate it mostly by runners, it is along term proposition but am getting more every year. It forms a good matt over the soil helping to conserve moisture. We have been in sever drought over summer and have had 37mm rain so far this month and the kikuyu is the only grass other than African Lovegrass that has shown response to the rain the rest is deader than dead. I am now busy drilling an annual ryegrass at 150mm spacings into my paddocks to try and get some feed for winter. It has worked in the past.

Ken

Ken...what do you know of this?

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/livestock-biosecurity/kikuyu-poisoning-livestock

Evidently, it will grow in my area..at least as a lawn
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1501761/kikuyu-grass-am-i-crazy

bird dog said:
Your plan seems solid. No matter where you are at and what you are trying to grow, controlling the weeds and removing brush is the first process. Are you using a herbicide? Ebenezer has the right idea on looking at your neighbors to see what works for them. Your local farmers are gonna be your best source of information.

Kukuyu sounds like a great grass if you can irrigate. I wonder if it is planted anywhere in the U.S. ?

http://www.turfgrasses.com/info/kikuyu.html

Latest posts