Advice— what size shredder and tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

spartacus

Reaction score
Need a little advice. We are looking at buying another piece of land to graze cattle and possibly convert 7-10 acres later to a tree farm. But initially just cattle. The property is 30 acres and sloped to where it gets a bit soggy at the base of the property in heavy rains.

What size tractor and shredder should I be looking at for 30 acres? I want to buy as small as I can make work without making shredding an all week event

Thanks in advance

Rotary mower or flail?

There are various calculators online that you can play with, but with a 50hp tractor and a 10ft rotary you could do 30 acres in a long summer day assuming 3mph average speed.

You could mow the 30 acres with a 6 ft mower in 12 hours if it's smooth enough to run in high range. I don't know the row spacing on your proposed tree farm, but if it's 10-12 ft you could also use the 6 ft to mow between the rows. 50-60 Hp tractor is plenty for a 6 ft mower.

8-10'.... nothing less than 8' no matter the size of the place. Its agrivating to not be cutting much wider than the tractor. The wider the shredder the less you have to bend your kneck around to see when running along fences or around trees. I would also do a pull behind, not a 3pt, for multiple reasons.

60hp is a great size, all around tractor.

Both recommendations will allow for some future growth.

Brute 23 said:
8-10'.... nothing less than 8' no matter the size of the place. Its agrivating to not be cutting much wider than the tractor.

You don't want it wider than the tractor if you're mowing between tree rows, you want it exactly tire width outside to outside.

Brute, it's because you can drive within inches of the tree knowing the mower won't hit it. I have much experience with this. :)

With my 8' mower behind a 6.5' wide 70hp tractor I can mow right next to fences, trees, buildings, etc perfectly without having to worry about the tires on the tractor running into things. After you've done it a bit you know exactly where to drive to get the mower right where it needs to be. I wouldn't want any narrower mower.

chevytaHOE5674 said:
My 8' mower is like 8'4" wide outside. I mow between buildings that are 9 foot apart, 10 foot is easy.

Between rows of trees not always exactly 10 ft apart and on uneven ground, it is not easy and it is not possible. Plainly you've never done it. You go on talking, I'm out.

I understand if you know you have to fit between certain obstacles you need to stay less than that but I didnt see any width restrictions in the original post.

I shred all the time around trees, down fence rows, in cattle pens, etc with a batwing and its 5' out the side of me. In fact it makes it easier to get close to the trees, especially with a cab. You can turn and the pull type batwing will get to your side and reach way up under the trees. That's why I have never liked 3pt cutters. You cant run as close to fences and stuff either.

There may be some special scenario I'm not aware of but in general I find it easier to mow close to things when I have plenty of shredder sticking out beside me.

ga.prime said:
Between rows of trees not always exactly 10 ft apart and on uneven ground, it is not easy and it is not possible. Plainly you've never done it. You go on talking, I'm out.

Since the OP hasn't planted a single tree yet on ground he doesnt even own then plant the trees 12 feet apart. Dont get all offended and butt hurt when people have different experiences and opinions as you. If you had rows of trees with 10 foot of space between them an 8' mower with tight sway chains/or rigid sway bars will stay centered behind the tractor at any angle you can safely operate a tractor on and fit between the rows.

Now if you cant plant straight parallel rows and keep a minimum 10' spacing then get a 5' mower by all means or find a different planting crew.

bird dog said:
Why do you need to shred at all?

Just buying the property (or making an offer at least) and it's grown up. I plan on running some cattle on the front 20 acres for at least 5-7 years. We have thought about putting reindeer or something else on it once the trees start to mature but I don't know yet. But the first few years it will be cattle and I need to expose the bermuda

i would get a 50 pto hp tractor and a 6 ft mower.bigger mowers have more gear boxes.

Latest posts