A Great Government Program

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":ve388hw0 said:
hurleyjd":ve388hw0 said:
My uncle worked and dipped for a long time and did as you do. He died with stomach cancer colon cancer and cancer about every where in the digestive system.

Something's got to kill you, might as well enjoy life. The longer I work in medical the more I don't want to live too long. I figure you end up either shytting your pants b/c you can't remember not to or your body can't remember not to. I'm thinking 80's a good trip, but b/c of my heart condition I'll feel lucky if I make it to 65. But, I'm going to have as good a 65 as I can, and if I want to drink and smoke and do other stupid things, well, what the he//, right?
Other than smoking, I live a pretty healthy life... I grow most of my own tobacco.. I am looking at life a little the same way as you.. the years it takes off me aren't the golden years, they're the diaper wearing senile years.. the way my joints feel at 40, I'm not thinking 80 is going to be very fun

tom4018":csyofzxd said:
True Grit Farms":csyofzxd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":csyofzxd said:
Nobody ever had a gun to their head and was forced to smoke.

Let me make your head explode, my in laws had a pretty good sizes tobacco base and they were paid $113,000 over a 10 year period to STOP growing tobacco. They did stop but they leased that same ground to other farmers who wanted to continue growing. We still lease out 23 acres and 4 barns to this day. I could quadruple that if I wanted to cut back on the cattle. Heck, I'd probably bottom line more that way.

My retirement plan is based off liquor sales so yes I can relate to what your saying. But it's still ironic how things work.

So liquor is a good thing? From your previous comments I thought you felt the same way about liquor.

Tom he has posted that his children have never seen tobacco or alcohol touch his lips.

The posted about smoking cigars with his dad. Now his retirement depends on alcohol sales. The only true about truegrit is his inability to keep up with his own stories.

Nesikep.

I would like to know you are considering dropping the smoking habit. It is easy at your age to say you are willing to give up the "golden years". I have excellent longevity on both maternal and paternal - mom 93, dad 92.

Nevertheless, I had cousins who used tobacco in my age group that died prematurely of tobacco related diseases. It is so obvious that it cannot be ignored. The tobacco smokers in my age group are gone and those that were tobacco free are still healthy.

What ever anyone's opinion on tobacco use is, I can respect that, and would certainly never advocate using it. My father died from emphysema, he health was in a state of decline for most of my childhood. He smoked heavy, it also affected the health of both my mother and I. I chewed some as a teen, but quit. Like most small farms around here, we raised some tobacco. It put food on the tables for many families in the area. With only a few acres of level land, and those few acres divided between hills, it isn't practical for growing grain, so tobacco provided a much needed additional income. It also provided work for quite a few folks, but now it would be nearly impossible to find local workers.
I understand the various views of the cost share programs, but I do think that they have been beneficial in helping to add improvements to many farms which would probably not have made them otherwise.

I guarantee, if I'm ever diagnosed with something terminal, all bets are off... even tho I no longer drink or smoke, first thing I'll probably do is stop and buy a pack of cigs and a bottle of good whiskey.
Will instruct my wife to make sure there's a pack & lighter in my pocket before they close the lid the last time, in case I wake up and want one...tho the lighter may not be neccessary if I don't watch how I live...

callmefence":2fa5ulmn said:
tom4018":2fa5ulmn said:
True Grit Farms":2fa5ulmn said:
My retirement plan is based off liquor sales so yes I can relate to what your saying. But it's still ironic how things work.

So liquor is a good thing? From your previous comments I thought you felt the same way about liquor.

Tom he has posted that his children have never seen tobacco or alcohol touch his lips.

The posted about smoking cigars with his dad. Now his retirement depends on alcohol sales. The only true about truegrit is his inability to keep up with his own stories.

My kids have never seen tobacco, alcohol touch my lips, that's a fact. I've never physically smoked a cigar sitting on the porch with my dad either. I have way to much respect for him. "Lets go out on the porch and smoke a cigar" my dad says that every time I walk into his office.
Fenceman, I can readily admit my faults and hide behind nothing. My family has been in the restaurant business since 1938, the buildings and property are leased out now. But on top of the rent and lease agreements, my dad put a cost of inflation clause in the lease and we make 5% off the gross sales, and 49% percent of the sales are alcohol.
Thanks for being a jerk again, have a great day working harder instead of smarter.

True Grit Farms":2sudddf4 said:
callmefence":2sudddf4 said:
tom4018":2sudddf4 said:

My kids have never seen tobacco, alcohol touch my lips, that's a fact. I've never physically smoked a cigar sitting on the porch with my dad either. I have way to much respect for him. "Lets go out on the porch and smoke a cigar" my dad says that every time I walk into his office.
Fenceman, I can readily admit my faults and hide behind nothing. My family has been in the restaurant business since 1938, the buildings and property are leased out now. But on top of the rent and lease agreements, my dad put a cost of inflation clause in the lease and we make 5% off the gross sales, and 49% percent of the sales are alcohol.
Thanks for being a jerk again, have a great day working harder instead of smarter.

Thanks trueshyt I Will have a good day. You do the same. Stomping and bellering around in your own mind.

callmefence":1bfizjjb said:
Me and my right hand man . Prowling round this morning.

Waiting on the rest of the tribe to arrive. And we'll be heading to the river.

I remember that picture of the Noble Texan with the big catfish. Are you going to the same river?

Bright Raven":38k5bfue said:
callmefence":38k5bfue said:
Me and my right hand man . Prowling round this morning.

Waiting on the rest of the tribe to arrive. And we'll be heading to the river.

I remember that picture of the Noble Texan with the big catfish. Are you going to the same river?

Yes we are. We actually have a cabin there.
My getaway. It's 8 miles through a private ranch down a pasture road. We have a well and generator. No cell service, no internet.
You can truly get way. I'll take some pictures.

Right now I must load the mighty vessel the ssfence....in the back of my truck.

Bright Raven":124py3ve said:
TennesseeTuxedo":124py3ve said:
True Grit Farms":124py3ve said:
Well duh that's all part of the liability and lawyer issues. The actual producer gets a reward for producing a product that a company gets fined to use. But the real irony is after all is said and done both parties are still doing the samething, and the end users are still dying. Stupid is as stupid does at it's finest.

Let me make your head explode, my in laws had a pretty good sizes tobacco base and they were paid $113,000 over a 10 year period to STOP growing tobacco. They did stop but they leased that same ground to other farmers who wanted to continue growing. We still lease out 23 acres and 4 barns to this day. I could quadruple that if I wanted to cut back on the cattle. Heck, I'd probably bottom line more that way.

Now you have done it. Lots of tobacco growers made a nice pile on the tobacco growers payout. TT, didn't that money also come from the tobacco settlement?

BTW: I wonder how many of these guys complaining about the CAIP program would have passed on the tobacco pay out.

WHERE IS BIGFOOT? Did his family pass on the tobacco buy out because it was administered by the government?

PS: For full disclosure, Dad took the buyout on the family farm. We had a small allotment. Nothing close to $113,000 that your family got.

Late to the party sorry. Yes, I got a settlement check. Didn't then, and don't now see that money as coming from the government. It was compensation for an asset that was lost (my tobacco base 16 acres of dark). Paid by the tobacco company, and not the government. Would have been very foolish to not take that check. Hated the tobacco companies prior to, and after that date. They ever send another one, I'll cash it to. They are shipping hard wood slabs and sawdust to South America as we speak. Wonder why that is?

Bigfoot":2c8vhvek said:
Bright Raven":2c8vhvek said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2c8vhvek said:

Now you have done it. Lots of tobacco growers made a nice pile on the tobacco growers payout. TT, didn't that money also come from the tobacco settlement?

BTW: I wonder how many of these guys complaining about the CAIP program would have passed on the tobacco pay out.

WHERE IS BIGFOOT? Did his family pass on the tobacco buy out because it was administered by the government?

PS: For full disclosure, Dad took the buyout on the family farm. We had a small allotment. Nothing close to $113,000 that your family got.

Late to the party sorry. Yes, I got a settlement check. Didn't then, and don't now see that money as coming from the government. It was compensation for an asset that was lost (my tobacco base 16 acres of dark). Paid by the tobacco company, and not the government. Would have been very foolish to not take that check. Hated the tobacco companies prior to, and after that date. They ever send another one, I'll cash it to. They are shipping hard wood slabs and sawdust to South America as we speak. Wonder why that is?

Thanks.

I have an excellent memory. I remember you posted a couple years ago about the tobacco settlement. The CAIP program I participate in comes from the same pot that the settlement checks came out of. This farm which I now own was a tobacco farm. David Staggs took the buyout before I purchased it. I have received $25,000 so far from the tobacco settlement pot and as long as I can, I will continue to do so. Those that call it welfare, knock yourselves out.

Bright Raven":2khfl2uk said:
Bigfoot":2khfl2uk said:
Bright Raven":2khfl2uk said:

Thanks.

I have an excellent memory. I remember you posted a couple years ago about the tobacco settlement. The CAIP program I participate in comes from the same pot that the settlement checks came out of. This farm which I now own was a tobacco farm. David Staggs took the buyout before I purchased it. I have received $25,000 so far from the tobacco settlement pot and as long as I can, I will continue to do so. Those that call it welfare, knock yourselves out.

Program is administered through the Nrcs office here. I have several improvements from it. That money is from the same pot. I guess one could argue in a round about way it cost the government to administer it. Same staff works there that always have. I have been passed over the last 3 times, and won't submit my paperwork anymore. Seems to go the ones that never got their hands dirty raising it now.

Bigfoot":3fw1ueid said:
Bright Raven":3fw1ueid said:
Bigfoot":3fw1ueid said:

Thanks.

Program is administered through the Nrcs office here. I have several improvements from it. That money is from the same pot. I guess one could argue in a round about way it cost the government to administer it. Same staff works there that always have. I have been passed over the last 3 times, and won't submit my paperwork anymore. Seems to go the ones that never got their hands dirty raising it now.

I was raised on a tobacco farm. I did every aspect of it from the time I was big enough until I went to Morehead. As you know, that allows me extra points plus the fact that my farm was in the tobacco program. I am not sure if you get the same questionnaire.

Bigfoot":wn4v5sd1 said:
Bright Raven":wn4v5sd1 said:
Bigfoot":wn4v5sd1 said:

Thanks.

Who ever administers it gets up 5% for doing it. The government actually keeps part of it for healthcare supposedly. This money passes thru the government's hands and in my opinion if farmers don't utilize it they put it on the general fund. No matter what some people get upset because they didn't get it and some look at it as welfare.

tom4018":3mmabl2s said:
Bigfoot":3mmabl2s said:
Bright Raven":3mmabl2s said:
Thanks.

Who ever administers it gets up 5% for doing it. The government actually keeps part of it for healthcare supposedly. This money passes thru the government's hands and in my opinion if farmers don't utilize it they put it on the general fund. No matter what some people get upset because they didn't get it and some look at it as welfare.

Tom, CAIP has been on these boards a couple times. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have participated? Right?

Bright Raven":1u13t7r3 said:
tom4018":1u13t7r3 said:
Bigfoot":1u13t7r3 said:

Tom, CAIP has been on these boards a couple times. Correct me if I am wrong, but you have participated? Right?
Yes I have. Would have to look to see how many times I have gotten it. My daughter administers the program in our county.

I did not read all the post. I am a tobacco farmer and on my county caip board. This is what bothers me about it. I will keep it short. It is not a government program it is not tax dollars at all!! Years ago some states made a master settlement with big tobacco. They paid the states X amount if they would not sue them over health care. In turn no new none payees can open a manufacturing of tobacco company in the state. Ky is the only state that decided to give it back to the farmer. The others put it into general fund. The amount each county gets is based on how much tobacco it grew.
A lot of post on this thread from people way of base on what they are talking about.

Latest posts