5 month old Angus bull weak in front legs

Help Support CattleToday:

8ball1969

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old angus bull who went down on me Friday evening. He tries to stand but just cant get up. I have been giving him 6cc of penicillin twice a day and 4cc of B12 twice a day. I also gave him a 3cc Ivomec shot Saturday night. He is eating and drinking well. All body fluids are normal. I hoist him up for about 5 hours a day and lay him down at night. He has very good strength in his back legs but will not put weight on his front. He will move them and stomp and I did get him to stand for about an hour 2 days ago. Any suggestions to what is wrong with him. He is the 4 one that has went down on me in a month.(Cyoties got to the other 3 before I could) He is a free rain grazer and the weather here has been extremely bad this year.

You don't say where you are, or what - if anything - you've been feeding these calves, but without seeing a photo, it sounds like a malnutrition problem, especially if you've had 4 of them crash on you in a short time frame. A 5-month old calf would have a hard time making a go of it on just pasture - even if it's exceptional quality - during a tough winter season.

I agree with Lucky P, sounds like nutritional. Did you give him a selenium shot? Bose or Muse? Are they getting fed anything?

I live in southern WV. We feed round bails of hay daily because there has been a lot of snow here lately. The bull will not eat sweet feed or lick a mineral block. I have tried calf milk supliment but he would only take a pint. We are going to try a vitamin shot today as soon as I call the vet to see which one he recommends. I do appreciate all comments as it help me try to figure out what is best for the little feller.

Has a vet looked at him? How much would you say he weighs? Was he on his dam when this happened, or weaned? If weaned, how long has he been without his dam?

I have contacted a vet this morning. We are in the process of getting Bose. The vet suggested that we give him 7cc. He has been weaned from the mother for about 2 months I am guessing. He weighs about 250lb. Vet also suggested that we take his water till he drinks the supplement milk, then give the water back. We also upped his alfalfa hay to give him more vitamins. Please keep the comments coming. I am new to the cattle raising and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Sounds like they weren't getting enough of the right feed for their age and weight. :( Hay just won't do it for those little guys.

Bose wa given and he did stand for almost 2 hours. He still seem weak. Going to try and make him get out of the trailer today and walk. I am afraid that he has lost some muscle in his front legs for being down for a week. I will update later today. Any suggestions on if I can give him another shot of Bose and how much. I don't want to kill him now that he is improving.

Seems we are getting a run on this type of thing lately.

Got some private nasties sent to me on my earlier comments about a guy losing calves so I will do it differently this morning to prevent offending people who do not like my delivery.

Five months old.

2.5 pounds of gain per day minimum at that age x 150 days plus birth weight

This guy should be in the 400 - 450 plus pound range - mine are often heavier. And we have the weather to make it far tougher so that is no excuse to me.

You sure you are right on this 250 weight? If you are, you truly are not doing right, right from the start.

I could lift the front end of this guy by hand - and I am an old man - it is barely out of what I call the calf stage.

Genetic or nutritional in my mind - feed it or sell it - if you can get it up and going. Do NOT breed this type of animal - and do NOT down load this on someone as a wonder bit of breeding stock - it will cost you money in the long run.

Bez

8ball1969":36nyjqlh said:
Bose wa given and he did stand for almost 2 hours. He still seem weak. Going to try and make him get out of the trailer today and walk. I am afraid that he has lost some muscle in his front legs for being down for a week. I will update later today. Any suggestions on if I can give him another shot of Bose and how much. I don't want to kill him now that he is improving.
What does your vet say??? If he is severely malnourished, he needs more than just Bose.

Just so everyone knows my cattle are NOT malnourished!!!! They are mud fat. He had a lot of fluid on him. He is up and doing good. And for Snake67 I don't know what kind of cattle you have, and really don't care. But my vet said that he is the exact weight that he should be for his age. I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

8ball1969":31x8gqw9 said:
Just so everyone knows my cattle are NOT malnourished!!!! They are mud fat. He had a lot of fluid on him. He is up and doing good. And for Snake67 I don't know what kind of cattle you have, and really don't care. But my vet said that he is the exact weight that he should be for his age. I do want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it.
Here is what you have told us. "He is 5 mos. old. Weaned about 2 mos. ago. Weighs about 250lds. You have already lost 3 other calves."
If he was weaned at 3 mos old, he would need a lot more than just hay and grass to eat in order to survive and grow. A healthy 5 month old beef calf should weigh a whole lot more than 250 lds..
So based on the information that you have given us Bez gave you a reasonable answer. And it is also reasonable to believe, that a 5 month old calf that has been on nothing but hay since he was 3 months old, is malnourished.
Glad that "he is up and doing good." But there is a reason that this happened.

Latest posts