48cm Yearling Scrotal

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer13

Reaction score
I have an Angus bull that measured 48cm scrotal as a yearling. I'm aware this an extremely high number and I am wondering if this could indicate a problem or future problem?

Are you sure? The criteria for a yearling Angus is only 32. If I remember, 15 months is 34, etc. Might be off a little but that is HUGE.

That is a very good problem to have. Wish more breeders took scrotal size seriously. I like to see at least 40 cm in 2 year olds, and 48 is extremely rare even at that age. Use him and keep as many daughters as possible.

Unless of course the testicles are misshapen. But if qualified vet gives him the thumbs up on BSE, I would be pretty happy.

I'd question that measurement on a yearling. How experienced is the DMV and did he give you a copy of the BSE results? A 32 SC is the minimum for yearling English/English composite breeds. High 30's and ~ 40 SC is exemplary. Anything substantially over that as a yearling would be a red flag regarding the veterinarians proficiency and/or an indication of a serious/compromising issue with the bull's reproductive capacity.

If it's healthy then that is a good thing! But if it is swollen up or something then it could be a problem. I'd definitely get it checked out better

Dont chase extremes, 42 is great plenty on a yearling. 48 on a 2yr old I had once was crazy big. Wish I had pictures. I felt bad chasing him in the pasture

Farmer13 said:
I have an Angus bull that measured 48cm scrotal as a yearling. I'm aware this is extremely high
I am wondering if this could indicate a problem or future problem?
Yes, such a large deviation from the norm is considered abnormal even for a long yearling.
(Abnormal is not always a negative thing)

But definitely have a vet test your bull's semen for motility and morphology.
A few vets only check motility, get both as morphology will determine if sperm is in fertile shape.
+85 morphology with 48 scrotal would indicate you may have a superstar... 70 or less... bye bye.

That's big, but I've had several between 40-42 and they turned out to be pretty potent bulls for the buyers. No complaints about open cows/heifers from the clients. The bulls just had big balls.

I had a vet check them as well, he gave them a clean bill of health

Bull had infection (puss) in ejaculate when examined for BSE. Thinking he should probably not be a herd bull, looks like just asking for problems down the road.

Farmer13 said:
Bull had infection (puss) in ejaculate when examined for BSE. Thinking he should probably not be a herd bull, looks like just asking for problems down the road.

Yep, dump him. Least you have an answer to the anomaly.

Farmer13 said:

That's kinda what I suspected

Latest posts