3x3x8 square bales

Help Support CattleToday:

jdmch":3gfhlcx0 said:
how do they compare to 5x6 rolls an what do you use to feed these
weight wise if its the big sq bales 1800lbs more or less.the smaller big sq bales 800 to 1000lbs.the best way to feed them is to put the big bale in the truck bed.an drive along flaking the hay off on the ground.speading the hay flakes as you drive.so all the cows can eat hay.only put out what you want the cows to eat for the day.

jdmch":3ow8o2a5 said:

I have no experience with rolls. Our 3X3X8's generally weigh around 800 lbs, and are fed by using a hay feeder(weaning calves), or they are ground and then fed using a feedwagon(main herd). We never used them as hay in the pasture.

bigbull338":uosu6d8s said:
jdmch":uosu6d8s said:
weight wise if its the big sq bales 1800lbs more or less.the smaller big sq bales 800 to 1000lbs.the best way to feed them is to put the big bale in the truck bed.an drive along flaking the hay off on the ground.speading the hay flakes as you drive.so all the cows can eat hay.only put out what you want the cows to eat for the day.
Are we talking alfalfa, 3x3x8 bales? I wouldn't throw alfalfa on hte ground, I would put it into a bunk style feeder. You can ration it, by separating amounts, how many head are U feeding?

GMN

Last year when hay was so expensive here, we bought semi loads of 3x3x8 alfalfa, and fed them exactly as jdmch suggested. Not the first time either.. we did the same in '96 with the drought. They waste WAY too much in a hay feeder, and by doling it out like that, all your cows are guaranteed to get some.

Latest posts