2020 Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Summer has hit in full swing here. We have yet to have a 100 degree day, but hay has been cut and baled, we turned out bulls almost a month ago, and the calves are growing well. This calf crop has been one of our best, if not the best, that we have had to date. It will be difficult to sort out which ones we keep and those that will be sold in the fall. I thought I would share photos of some of our calves.
006 Heifer- This is a 3 1/2 month old Ballee Thumbs Up daughter that is out of a Cadella Park Golden Boy cow. This is just her 3rd calf, but she is quickly becoming one of the top producers in our herd.
006-Heifer-3-5-months-1.jpg

009 Bull- He is a 3 month old Tony son that is a full brother to the best bull from our 2019 calf crop. His dam tends to produce calves with more muscle than the rest of the herd. He was 81 lbs at birth.
009-Bull-3-months.jpg

012 Heifer- This heifer is a 2 1/2 month old daughter of Dominion (a 3 year old Tony son). She is out of a 12 year old cow that has really produced some nice calves for us over the years. In her first 8 years of production, she only had two heifer calves, but her last two calves have been females, so we are able to keep her bloodline going.
012-Heifer-2-5-months.jpg

015 Bull- This bull is another 3 month old Tony son that is out of a 50% cow. He does not have a really masculine head on him yet, but I do like his muscling for his age.
015-Bull-3-months-1.jpg

021 Bull- Another Tony son shown at 2 1/2 months. He is standing next to his 9 year old dam in this photo. Both he and the 009 bull are out of the same cow line. We DNA tested this calf, along with the rest of the calf crop,for tenderness and marbling genes, and his scores rival anything that we have produced to date.
021-Bull-2-5-months-1.jpg

023 Bull- This calf is a 3 month old Dominion son. His mother also has a tendency to pass on increased muscling to her progeny. He has been an absolute chunk since the day he was born!
023-Bull-3-months.jpg

028 Heifer- This last heifer is a Dominion daughter out of a 10 year old cow. I am really liking the way that she is growing. She is on the younger end of the calf crop, being only 2 1/2 months old, but she catches my eye almost every time I check them.
028-Heifer-2-5-months.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

Hays- I am looking forward to adding some of your genetics to our herd (first one due 2/8/21).

You are doing something right if you struggle to determine which heifers to keep! Finished breeding here and had a buyer lined up for the cleanup bull. Now to decide which bull calves to leave as bulls and which ones to cut. I have more beef customers than bull customers so far and only kept one heifer born last year and one born this year. Finally got to a sustainable herd size so we are being very picky on who stays.

Latest posts