2-4D or round up in pond for weeds

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
Hydrilla is taken over pond mostly around the edges , really thick on shallow end , I have lots of round up and 24-d on hand , will this work to spray . Pond is stocked and would like to keep my fish . Was told by local oldtimer these chemicals will work . Just do 1/4 of pond at a time and try and get out the the stuff as it dies ( oxygen ) . Could spend the money and go the with the pond specific chemicals

Roundup would be the choice. He is right about clearing the dead stuff and only doing a part of the pond at a time. There is a product expressly for weeds in ponds, it's basically roundup with a different name. There is also an outfit that sells pond specific stuff, I think it';s somthing like "pondweeds.com"

Different variations of glyphosate concentration and probably different "other' or 'inert' ingredients.

Eraser AQ

Last question first. Yes, soap can be used as a surfactant. As far as the pond weeds are concerned there are several products used for different weeds. For example Cutrin is used for some types of floating weeds (not all) and is very effective. Filamentacious algae is one.It is a chelated copper product and there are several generic chelated copper products available. Some of the Glyphosates formulated for use in ponds are effective for control of pond weeds with roots (not all). CB is spot on in his statement about off label use of herbicides for any applications. GB is also right in his statement on formulations of the same product with different names.

I fought filamentacious algae all summer long in one of my ponds. One time treatment and it worked for a short period of time. Treated again and nothing. Finally gave up and bought 500 tilapia and put in two of my stocked ponds. If they make it through the Winter we'll see next year if mother natures way of pond weed control works. The tilapia fish method was certainly MUCH cheaper than trying to treat with chemicals and maybe more effective. I also have triploid grass carp in both my ponds for control of different types of weeds and it is very effective and much cheaper.

Not trying to tell you what to do but maybe you need to take some pictures of the weed and send them to your nearest university ag department for them to identify and have them make a recommendation as to what to use. Many of the ponds weeds look so much alike but are treated with different chemicals. Good luck.

lavacarancher":2rh20zmy said:
Last question first. Yes, soap can be used as a surfactant. As far as the pond weeds are concerned there are several products used for different weeds. For example Cutrin is used for some types of floating weeds (not all) and is very effective. Filamentacious algae is one.It is a chelated copper product and there are several generic chelated copper products available. Some of the Glyphosates formulated for use in ponds are effective for control of pond weeds with roots (not all). CB is spot on in his statement about off label use of herbicides for any applications. GB is also right in his statement on formulations of the same product with different names.

I fought filamentacious algae all summer long in one of my ponds. One time treatment and it worked for a short period of time. Treated again and nothing. Finally gave up and bought 500 tilapia and put in two of my stocked ponds. If they make it through the Winter we'll see next year if mother natures way of pond weed control works. The tilapia fish method was certainly MUCH cheaper than trying to treat with chemicals and maybe more effective. I also have triploid grass carp in both my ponds for control of different types of weeds and it is very effective and much cheaper.

Not trying to tell you what to do but maybe you need to take some pictures of the weed and send them to your nearest university ag department for them to identify and have them make a recommendation as to what to use. Many of the ponds weeds look so much alike but are treated with different chemicals. Good luck.
For filemntious alge we just use copper sulphate granules. At our other farm the problem was spatterdock, roundup took care of that. The current algae problem is an on going yearly problem. Been fighting it for 15 years. Got a couple og huge grass carp in the pond and the algae is the only weed growing in it.

dun":1akgwp1p said:
lavacarancher":1akgwp1p said:

For filemntious alge we just use copper sulphate granules. At our other farm the problem was spatterdock, roundup took care of that. The current algae problem is an on going yearly problem. Been fighting it for 15 years. Got a couple og huge grass carp in the pond and the algae is the only weed growing in it.

Yes sir, you are right. The tilapia are supposed to be voracious eaters of the algae but we'll see next year when the water temperature starts coming back up and the algae starts to grow again.

I wonder if tilapia would work or if the bass and catfish would think they are just a plentiful snack

Caustic Burno":qiiqsng4 said:
True Grit Farms":qiiqsng4 said:
Caustic Burno":qiiqsng4 said:

Roundup is off label for pond us, but is the same thing as Rodeo.

There is no such thing as off label use of herbicides that's a violation that can cost you dearly.

That's the reason I said off label and didn't say to or not to use Roundup in a pond. Trust me I have the pond herbicides figured out. And the fish even survived.

dun":71n5vor5 said:
I wonder if tilapia would work or if the bass and catfish would think they are just a plentiful snack
They do seem to be tasty till they get big enough. They work real well big drawback is they can't take cold weather and die. Have to stock them every year they grow really fast.
Indian runner ducks work well also

True Grit Farms":1juxbwkh said:
Caustic Burno":1juxbwkh said:
True Grit Farms":1juxbwkh said:
Roundup is off label for pond us, but is the same thing as Rodeo.

There is no such thing as off label use of herbicides that's a violation that can cost you dearly.

That's the reason I said off label and didn't say to or not to use Roundup in a pond. Trust me I have the pond herbicides figured out. And the fish even survived.

Trust me when you find the EPA going through your pasture checking the stream that feeds my and the neighbors ponds your mind will get right on chemical use quick.

Caustic Burno":1c8r2g9f said:
dun":1c8r2g9f said:
They do seem to be tasty till they get big enough. They work real well big drawback is they can't take cold weather and die. Have to stock them every year they grow really fast.
I don;t think Indian Runners could outrun the abundance of yotes, foxes and bobcats around here.

dun":25fkbtk7 said:
Caustic Burno":25fkbtk7 said:
dun":25fkbtk7 said:
I don;t think Indian Runners could outrun the abundance of yotes, foxes and bobcats around here.
They did okay on my bigger pond the small one not as well.
My losses were heaviest to a great horned owl

Caustic Burno":3tuboyyh said:
True Grit Farms":3tuboyyh said:
Caustic Burno":3tuboyyh said:

Trust me when you find the EPA going through your pasture checking the stream that feeds my and the neighbors ponds your mind will get right on chemical use quick.

Caustic Burno":3pkcnxya said:
True Grit Farms":3pkcnxya said:
Caustic Burno":3pkcnxya said:

That will be the death of me.

True Grit Farms":xobowcxb said:
That will be the death of me.
Not if you've kept records of your spray activity and remained compliant with the annual limits on application rates--and stayed on label.

It's rare that an agency will come out and start looking on a landowner's practice's--they generally start somewhere else--downstream on public water. A few year's ago, I went into town and noticed a couple of vans sitting by the bridge of the little river that forms my East property line. Since they were parked in front of a rarely used gate entrance, but were traipsing around on the area between my fence and the actaul channel, (my property), I stopped and asked what they were doing.
They were a group from TAMU that had been given a grant and mandate from Texas Commission on Environmental Quality to assess the amount of pollution in that river's water. Told me their results would be forwarded to TCEQ and EPA and if anything showed up, they would start backtracking upstream to find the source(s).

Because that river is there, and my pond's overflow empties into that river, I stay fully compliant. That river joins the West Fork, and empties into Lake Houston which is 1 of 2 sources of fresh water for towns downstream, including Houston. I have no real love for the imbeciles in Houston or Harris County, but I feel they do have a right to clean water.

(I just wish the State would keep their damn river off my pastures--they want my excess water but I do not want theirs)

Latest posts