1st Angus sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
First group of registered bulls I sold in a Registered Angus sale. Purchased the bulls and mommas as pairs. Averaged $2700 18 month olds. Sure learned a lot. Everyone else had thier bulls at the barn days before me and sold in that order. I was dead last! A lot of people told me they were to fat and some loved them. What you all think ? https://postimg.cc/gallery/1vi7x14yi/

A lot of people told me they were to fat and some loved them. What you all think ?
The old conundrum...need better pics to make an evaluation.
Averaged $2700 18 month olds.
Not too shabby for your initial foray. Don't let it go to your head. :D
Post their registration numbers.
Sure learned a lot.
I'm all ears. ;-)

$2700 is not bad, recently there was a sale in KY, that in my opinion, was a real disappointment, they averaged about $400-500 less than what you received for registered Angus, some were direct AI sons.

The photos are terrible quality. Sounds like you did OK and learnt a lot for next time. I get my bulls ready to sell as 2 yr with a couple of yearling around 13 mths. I aim to get the 2 yr olds to 800 kg (1760 lb) although most end up over 900 kg. I find after 800 kg they start to look the goods. The yearlings I push a bit harder and like to get them to 600kg, my market for yearlings around her is limited, I have to convince the buyer that they are big enough to do the job.

Ken

600kg for a yearling is bloody good going. In my opinion this is the best age to buy a working bull, you have time to incorporate him into your system and handling practices before he has to knuckle down to hard work. He could handle a dozen straight off the bat as practice to start with also.

Redgully said:
600kg for a yearling is bloody good going. In my opinion this is the best age to buy a working bull, you have time to incorporate him into your system and handling practices before he has to knuckle down to hard work. He could handle a dozen straight off the bat as practice to start with also.

trouble is around here too many can only afford one bull and want to put that yearling with two or three dozen....

pdfangus said:
Redgully said:

trouble is around here too many can only afford one bull and want to put that yearling with two or three dozen....

Same here, they buy a calving ease bull and use him for 4-5 years on 40-50 head, AND then complain that $2000k is too much money for a bull

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I signed them up , feed them rained on alfalfa and some mix from the local feed store. Seemed pretty good here is the label https://postimg.cc/RJqfJ9Wr I fed 1 big coffee can per head a day for about 2 months and loose minerals

Latest posts