What's your opinion the red tag or green tag both are a pellet feed
Here's the prices
Green tag
$229.00 super sack (Ton)
$6.87 sack(50lbs)
Red tag
$286.60 super sack (ton)
$8.81 sack (50lbs)

In my opinion, there is no bagged feed that will pay for itself. The cost of the gain is just too high. Get set up for bulk. The prices you are showing, are cheaper than here on a bagged feed. I bet bulk is considerably cheaper per ton.

Bigfoot said:
In my opinion, there is no bagged feed that will pay for itself. The cost of the gain is just too high. Get set up for bulk. The prices you are showing, are cheaper than here on a bagged feed. I bet bulk is considerably cheaper per ton.

The super sack is how they sell bulk feed. Unless I have a feeder or something to haul in which I do not

DCA farm said:
Bigfoot said:

The super sack is how they sell bulk feed. Unless I have a feeder or something to haul in which I do not

That feed ranges from 11.5 cents per pound up to 17.62 cents per pound. What will you be feeding it to, and whats the end game?

The %16 is only 2.5% fat and still 14 cents a pound. What would it cost you to mix the 16% with a little corn? Should cut your cost a little.

The 12% is probably not worth messing with.

For what it's worth I like to be under 12 cents/lb to feed any significant amount

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Corn is 9% CP. I like to feed show calves about 14%, so with a 16% you would have to feed more pellet than corn, depending on your CP of grass/hay.

Not show calf's just plain Jane cross bred calf's some are mainly herford I say mainly because they where not off papered cows or bulls so there may be a odd ball bred in there somewhere

Bigfoot said:
DCA farm said:
Bigfoot said:

That feed ranges from 11.5 cents per pound up to 17.62 cents per pound. What will you be feeding it to, and whats the end game?

Young calf's goinginto winter along with hay and mineral. Will also give to grown herd but for different reason than nutritional stand point I like mine used to a feed bucket easy to get them moved

DCA farm said:
Here's the prices
Green tag
$229.00 super sack (Ton)
$6.87 sack(50lbs)
Red tag
$286.60 super sack (ton)
$8.81 sack (50lbs)

12% = 240 lbs of protein per ton @ $229 ton = 95 cents per lb of protein
16% = 320 lbs of protein per ton @ $287 ton = 89.7 cents per lb of protein

Buy the red tag 16% and feed less of it.

8.33 lbs of 12% provides 1 lb of protein
6.25 lbs of 16% provides 1 lb of protein

Your question is kind of vague. We don't know what your end game is. Are you keeping the calves, selling at weaning, retaining ownership? And what are you looking for the grain to do, is it a protein supplement for poor hay? We feed 14% distillers pellets here and reduce that with C.O.B., our hay is 14% and 25% of their ration is 20% alfalfa. We use this to raise our bulls from weaning to a yearling. Heifers don't get alfalfa. For us grain isn't used to supplement for protein, but for fats and carbohydrates.

CreekAngus said:
Your question is kind of vague. We don't know what your end game is. Are you keeping the calves, selling at weaning, retaining ownership? And what are you looking for the grain to do, is it a protein supplement for poor hay? We feed 14% distillers pellets here and reduce that with C.O.B., our hay is 14% and 25% of their ration is 20% alfalfa. We use this to raise our bulls from weaning to a yearling. Heifers don't get alfalfa. For us grain isn't used to supplement for protein, but for fats and carbohydrates.
Plan to sell all but 1 he has a date with the butcher. Not planning on keeping any of them but you know how that goes sometimes one catches your eye and ends up staying around

My weaned steers going to a feedlot buyer (and my replacement heifers) get WSC - period. They are on a pasture saved this past month of great regrowth and 2nd cut dry hay bale. Only getting about 2.5# of WSC per hd/day right now (just weaned). Also, free-choice good loose mineral. Will build up to 5#/hd/day. Steers will leave here in about 4-6 weeks. Heifers will stay at 5# through our harsh winter.

Son of Butch said:
DCA farm said:
Green tag
$229.00 super sack (Ton)
$6.87 sack (50lbs)
Red tag
$286.60 super sack (ton)
$8.81 sack (50lbs)
$229 ton = 11.45 cents lb vs 50 lb bag $6.87 = 13.74 cents lb
$286 ton = 14.35 cents vs 50 lb bag $8.81 = 17.62 cents per lb.

12% = 240 lbs of protein per ton @ $229 ton = 95.4 cents per lb of protein

feeding 8.33 lbs of 12% provides 1 lb of protein 8.33 lbs x 11.45 cents = 95 cents
feeding 6.25 lbs of 16% provides 1 lb of protein 6.25 lbs x 14.35 cents = 89 cents
A penny saved is a penny earned. :) 6 cents a day x 100 days = $6
blue = edited to add

Son of Butch said:
DCA farm said:
Here's the prices
Green tag
$229.00 super sack (Ton)
$6.87 sack(50lbs)
Red tag
$286.60 super sack (ton)
$8.81 sack (50lbs)

Now for the rest of the story, how much energy are you getting for this cost and is cheapest really best?? The 16% if lower in fiber (roughage products). Going by the prices the roughage is little more than filler. Roughage in the form of soybean hulls would be great but they are expensive and seldom used in bagged feed. Might be worth asking the feed mill about it though. The 16% also contains some alfalfa (7 1/2% forage products) which is a good product. Their is about a 99% chance the 16% feed has a considerably higher TDN and NEM . (Total Digestible Nutrients and Net Energy Mainentance) Factor this in and the 16% is the better feed. The higher protein also allows you to add additional corn which will lower the overall crude protein level while elevating the digestible energy (not to mention lowering the cost as well). Mix about 2/3 pellets and 1/3 corn and you'll have close to a 14% feed.

I have been mixing the feed 1 sack 16% 1 sack 12% and giving entire herd couple pounds a head every 3-4 days just to keep them coming to a bucket not really as a nutritional supplement I was gonna start feeding couple pounds a head just to calves mainly in a creeping area once they go on hay just to help them. But wanted to see what people thought about each product. As far as a protein feed they have soybean meal and cotton seed meal they only sell it by the sack
And it's around $10-$11 a sack I know people who feed that and add corn to cut it back. I had my grandfather pick me up
A couple sacks while he was in town Yesterday but he grabbed wrong stuff he bought 20% cubes instead I don't believe calves need to be eating these big suckers

TexasBred said:
Son of Butch said:
DCA farm said:
Here's the prices
Green tag
$229.00 super sack (Ton)
$6.87 sack(50lbs)
Red tag
$286.60 super sack (ton)
$8.81 sack (50lbs)

Now for the rest of the story, how much energy are you getting for this cost and is cheapest really best?? The 16% if lower in fiber (roughage products). Going by the prices the roughage is little more than filler. Roughage in the form of soybean hulls would be great but they are expensive and seldom used in bagged feed. Might be worth asking the feed mill about it though. The 16% also contains some alfalfa (7 1/2% forage products) which is a good product. Their is about a 99% chance the 16% feed has a considerably higher TDN and NEM . (Total Digestible Nutrients and Net Energy Mainentance) Factor this in and the 16% is the better feed. The higher protein also allows you to add additional corn which will lower the overall crude protein level while elevating the digestible energy (not to mention lowering the cost as well). Mix about 2/3 pellets and 1/3 corn and you'll have close to a 14% feed.

Would us use cracked or whole corn

DCA farm said:
TexasBred said:
Son of Butch said:

Would us use cracked or whole corn

Just a personal preference but I would use cracked corn. Whole corn will pass through the cow undigested but it won't be a huge amount.