10' bush hog

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
I am looking around at new bush hogs. I'm considering bush hog, john deere, and landpride. I am just wondering what yall use and suggest. We have a 6' bush hog brand cutter and I like it but I'm not sure about the other two brands.

I got a John Deere MX10, not real pleased with the cut in tall grass. It seems to not pick the grass up where the tractor ran over it. It does a decent job if you keep the tractor dead on 540 or a little above but if you let the rpm's fall it is worse. Does a lot better in short grass, guess it is easier to pick it up. Dealer gave me a different set of blades and it helped some, but if you want something that looks clean cut JD is not it.

circlew":om7flqbj said:
I am looking around at new bush hogs. I'm considering bush hog, john deere, and landpride. I am just wondering what yall use and suggest. We have a 6' bush hog brand cutter and I like it but I'm not sure about the other two brands.

We use a Rhino - pretty heavy duty machine - and we like it - but it was not cheap

Just depends on how bad you intend to beat it I suppose.

We pound ours pretty hard sometimes

Otherwise almost anything will probably do if you are simply cutting grass

Best to all

Bez

i would say bushhog and landpride are the best out of what i have ever been around i have never heard much good about john deere brushhogs.

We use a bushwacker they are heavy duty and they are for heavy brush. If you are wanting one to cut grass get the higher geared which are the smaller gear box.

If you have the HP, get a batwing. Does a better job on uneven terrain and you will be surprised at
the time savings.

I've used my uncle in laws batwing a few times and I liked how it cut and the time it saved plus I didn't burn a lot of fuel but it was all my tractor wanted and I don't know if I want to fork out that much money right now.

the bushhogs are the best hands down.like you we have a 6ft bushhog.an we priced new 10ft bushhogs this year at $9000 more or less.the batwings will run you $15,000 or a tad more.

I bought a 15' Woods brand batwing last year used. Looked like it had been kept in a barn. Old guy had a stroke and said he couldn't take care of his cattle any more. It had the stickers on it still and every thing. Brand new... 16K... I paid 7K. I also bought several other little pieces of equipment.

If you have the time you may try watching craiglist or the newspaper and seeing what you can turn up. There are deals to be had.

I use a Rhino and it is one heavy duty machine. Neighbor borrowed it and got rid of his bush hog brand cutter and is going to replace it with a rhino.

Cant go wrong with either a Rhino or a Bush Hog. I gotta 6' bush hog for medium duty brush..and its a good one. I think a Rhino might do better in heavier stuff

I priced some bush hogs today. A new john deere 6600, new land pride 8600, bush hog brand 7200, and a 2 year old rhino 4600. The rhino was traded in yesterday for a 15'. I'm leaning towards the rhino, the dealer said that a new one would be 8000ish.

Brute 23":3cxmwcvi said:
I bought a 15' Woods brand batwing last year used. Looked like it had been kept in a barn.
(hijack apologies)
Ya ever seen a big Woods tree cutter? Those things sound like an F4 Phantom when they get wound up to working speed. Looks kinda like a big mower with a notch out of the frame in the back, and a big heavy flywheel where the blade hub and stump jumper should be. Scary to be around but Things of destruction tho.

circlew":39xyh0ba said:
I priced some bush hogs today. A new john deere 6600, new land pride 8600, bush hog brand 7200, and a 2 year old rhino 4600. The rhino was traded in yesterday for a 15'. I'm leaning towards the rhino, the dealer said that a new one would be 8000ish.
If it was me and the rhino was in pretty good shape i would buy it too personaly if i can get by with cheaper equipment and buy more cows that is what i like to do. i was at a auction saturday and they sold a near new and looked new 10 foot bushhog brand that was the heaviest model with three big gearboxes for 5900 so thats an idea of what some are going for.

Hondac":1pivh0oz said:
If you have the HP, get a batwing. Does a better job on uneven terrain and you will be surprised at
the time savings.

Ditto that! I don't have one but would love to have it. I've used a 12 foot flat deck Rhino and while it was great, it was a bear to haul around. A batwing just folds up and you can move it wherever. I favor BushHog and Rhino, handsdown. Go heavy duty even though what you might have right now is light duty, you never know when you might get into the $hit. Make sure you have the pto HP to run what you buy. The sales people will try to convince you that you can run a batwing off of 20 hp just to sell a unit.

Latest posts