Drone Bounty

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":15nyndu2 said:
I read something that said the drones fly at 50,000'. Bringing one down is pretty unlikely.
some can--some can't--some can but don't--depends on propulsion type and their optics package. MQ1B Predator reportedly has a max ceiling of 50K', and according to John Pike's website, medium altitude drones are all painted gray so they blend in against a blue or overcast sky. Hi altitude UAVs are painted black. Predator is considered a medium altitude UAV.
btw:
M=military.
Q=unmanned.
R=reconnaissance

MQ9 Reaper (Predator-B) is a high altitude UAV. 50,000+ ceiling.

The most used drone in the Armed Forces is the little hand or vehicle RQ-11B Raven. It has a altitude rating of 150-500' agl.
http://www.avinc.com/downloads/Raven_Gimbal.pdf

Civilian, law enforcement type drones also have a lower ceiing. The Cube, made by the same company that makes Raven, flys at around 1500'. Lots of PDs, and other smaller govt agencies use Cube. This, is the one you are most likely to see in the sky above you in the USA.
http://www.avinc.com/downloads/Qubedatasheet.pdf

There is a base near here where they train to fly them and I can tell you they won't be any shot down. You can here them very good but if you do manage to see one they are just a dot in the sky. And in case your wondering they don't fly them over my house! I work on the base sometimes and see them there.

greybeard":3v44low4 said:
slick4591":3v44low4 said:
I read something that said the drones fly at 50,000'. Bringing one down is pretty unlikely.
some can--some can't--some can but don't--depends on propulsion type and their optics package. MQ1B Predator reportedly has a max ceiling of 50K', and according to John Pike's website, medium altitude drones are all painted gray so they blend in against a blue or overcast sky. Hi altitude UAVs are painted black. Predator is considered a medium altitude UAV.
btw:
M=military.
Q=unmanned.
R=reconnaissance

MQ9 Reaper (Predator-B) is a high altitude UAV. 50,000+ ceiling.

The most used drone in the Armed Forces is the little hand or vehicle RQ-11B Raven. It has a altitude rating of 150-500' agl.
http://www.avinc.com/downloads/Raven_Gimbal.pdf

Civilian, law enforcement type drones also have a lower ceiing. The Cube, made by the same company that makes Raven, flys at around 1500'. Lots of PDs, and other smaller govt agencies use Cube. This, is the one you are most likely to see in the sky above you in the USA.
http://www.avinc.com/downloads/Qubedatasheet.pdf

One of these flew over my house at approx 100' about a month ago. I was standing in my driveway talking to a friend when i looked up and saw it hovering over us.
They are playing games with these all summer here. Mostly high altitude testing is my guess. They need to make sure they can spy on us in our thin air.

3waycross":26bx9jfq said:
One of these flew over my house at approx 100' about a month ago. I was standing in my driveway talking to a friend when i looked up and saw it hovering over us.

Stands to reason being you live at 49,000 feet. I suspect it was just hovering trying to get up the nerve to get over the top of the mountain.

Jogeephus":16q7drgn said:
3waycross":16q7drgn said:

Stands to reason being you live at 49,000 feet. I suspect it was just hovering trying to get up the nerve to get over the top of the mountain.
:lol: :lol:

Hover at 49000 above sea level?
I don't think so. Air is just too thin. Not unless it's just a few feet agl using ground effect air to stay up.

(not to mention highest point on Earth is well below 49K feet, and a landing on Everest by anything that hovers is extremely difficult, even with a stripped down to nothing airframe.)

greybeard":2f9rdeiz said:
Hover at 49000 above sea level?
I don't think so. Air is just too thin. Not unless it's just a few feet agl using ground effect air to stay up.

(not to mention highest point on Earth is well below 49K feet, and a landing on Everest by anything that hovers is extremely difficult, even with a stripped down to nothing airframe.)

Not much for humor are you? He knows exactly what the altitude is here and is smarter than either one of us. Lighten up man! :lol2:

No, to be honest, I've always had a very difficult time conceptualizing humor. Even more so in text form. Even as a kid, I found Saturday morning cartoons to be.....well, boring. I think I have visited "Joke of the Day" thread only twice.

greybeard":3rjaeezh said:
No, to be honest, I've always had a very difficult time conceptualizing humor. Even more so in text form. Even as a kid, I found Saturday morning cartoons to be.....well, boring. I think I have visited "Joke of the Day" thread only twice.

No sweat. Some folks are just wired different! :tiphat:

Latest posts