Propane

Help Support CattleToday:

When the local Propane co. was locally owned, they used it in their delivery trucks. Over the 40 years I had deliveries here, never once heard of a complaint, nor truck no show, or late delivery due to truck problems.

I had a Propane tractor and was very dissatisfied with handling/using the product for farm use. However, before Diesel became popular, farmers were fed the Propane propaganda (1st hand account of one farmer) so there were a lot of PG tractors. Have known of a handful of P/U owners having it and no real gripes....to which they would own up!

Propane is really good when running right and really not when running poorly. They have pretty good systems now, but the old regulators and convertors were a nightmare. The engines like it as they don't wear much. It does run very dry though. My biggest issue is the drop in hp you get, so you find you are a little harder on the go pedal and use a fair bit of extra fuel so the cheaper price means squat at the end of the day. Also if you run out you simply run out, can't go with your can for a gallon or two. I know a guy that ran out an hour away from a station out bush, so he got a gas cooking cylinder and ran a tube to the air intake. Car would start and had just enough rpm to keep him moving, made it to the station a few hours later. Since the turbo diesel was developed to what it is today propane around here has really dried up.

our old farm truck ran propane... When propane was way cheaper than gasoline it was worth it but now there's not enough of a split to make up for the lost power and mileage

Down to 0F/-20C or so they run well, below that they get finnicky

Latest posts