Winter wheat thoughts!!

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
I have three acres of my farm im wanting to add for pasture. It was just recently harvested for corn. Because of the way the ground lays the corn never did well here as it did on the rest of the farm. I run around 25 stocker cattle 3 times a year. My question is should i turn em out onto the stalks or go ahead and plant winter wheat for the fall calves to run on. I currently have calves on a 5 acre pasture that holds up pretty well with 3 groups (supplemental feeding as well). Im wanting to pull the calves off of the 5 acre to let it rest through the fall. Im open to any suggestions or tips that may be offered Thanks!!!!

Where are you located? There are more productive choices, but i plant wheat myself.

TLM1988 said:
I have three acres of my farm im wanting to add for pasture. It was just recently harvested for corn. Because of the way the ground lays the corn never did well here as it did on the rest of the farm. I run around 25 stocker cattle 3 times a year. My question is should i turn em out onto the stalks or go ahead and plant winter wheat for the fall calves to run on. I currently have calves on a 5 acre pasture that holds up pretty well with 3 groups (supplemental feeding as well). Im wanting to pull the calves off of the 5 acre to let it rest through the fall. Im open to any suggestions or tips that may be offered Thanks!!!!

I prefer cereal rye and oats myself

They will do good on the stubble, anyway you can graze it off and still have time to get wheat up?

Bigfoot said:
Where are you located? There are more productive choices, but i plant wheat myself.

I'm in western KY... putting winter wheat over a corn crop is pretty common practice here.. wheat does really good

TLM1988 said:
Bigfoot said:

I'm in western KY... putting winter wheat over a corn crop is pretty common practice here.. wheat does really good

I'm in West Ky to. Christian County

Bigfoot said:
TLM1988 said:
Bigfoot said:

I'm in West Ky to. Christian County
not far at all im in Graves County

Put some nitrogen down and planet the wheat. Or do two appliances put the wheat than cereal rye. I'd say just put the wheat in give a month or two.
Unless the cattle is easy to move than put them.

Tritacale. Wheat x Ryegrass. I planted 200 acres last winter , 4 tons an acre average in April. It was 2 feet tall in mid November with 2 irrigation's (4 inches rainfall ). Grew like a tumbleweed . 15% protein.

Richnm said:
Tritacale. Wheat x Ryegrass. I planted 200 acres last winter , 4 tons an acre average in April. It was 2 feet tall in mid November with 2 irrigation's (4 inches rainfall ). Grew like a tumbleweed . 15% protein.

When did you plant?

Plant Sept 1st every year . 30 pounds N per acre. Water is stopped 10-31 . Cut before heads come out in spring. I don't care what anyone says, it's more palatable this way. Bale it a little green , feed value stays high longer.

Latest posts