Completely new to this

Help Support CattleToday:

KentuckySpud

Reaction score
Me and my uncle have about 26 acres of land. And the potential for 94 acres once it's all fenced in. A guy approached my uncle with the option to buy 2 red angus heifers and one is pregnant.

As someone who has never been around cattle. What could we do with these cattle? Could you start a small operation of some sort?

I know this isn't a lot to go on but I've wanted to have cattle my entire life. And I just want to see what are some options I could have with these cattle.

Are the heifers registered? How old are they? Why is only one pregnant? What do you know about the bull? Where are you located and where are the heifers? How much can they be bought for?

I might be interested in buying them from you so you might make a few bucks flipping them.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Are the heifers registered? How old are they? Why is only one pregnant? What do you know about the bull? Where are you located and where are the heifers? How much can they be bought for?

I might be interested in buying them from you so you might make a few bucks flipping them.

I'm in Kentucky. The cow is 2 years old. And it is actually a Simangus I am being told now. The guy is wanting right around $1,400 for the cow/calf pair.

So, what you are saying, is this guy has a 2yr old pregnant female, nursing a calf (we refer to this as 3 in 1) for $1400.
The 26 acres is more than enough to feed her. Do you have any facilities? Like a coral, or a head gate or a barn? Cattle can get injured or sick and need to be restrained for examination or treatment. Cattle should also get vaccinations.
It's a "fun" thought to have a cow, but there are responsibilities to it.
If you think it is something you want to do and learn about doing, go for it. But, you need to have a plan to care for them. It's not like deciding to buy/get a dog. They are extremely powerful.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
So, what you are saying, is this guy has a 2yr old pregnant female, nursing a calf (we refer to this as 3 in 1) for $1400.
The 26 acres is more than enough to feed her. Do you have any facilities? Like a coral, or a head gate or a barn? Cattle can get injured or sick and need to be restrained for examination or treatment. Cattle should also get vaccinations.
If you think it is something you want to do and learn about doing, go for it. But, you need to have a plan to care for them. It's not like deciding to buy/get a dog. They are extremely powerful.
While I agree totally with everything Jeanne said, get a vet to do you vaccinations on this group. Some can cause abortion or have adverse effects. But definitely a good deal if you are set up for it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

This is her first calf she had in the past. She in currently pregnant with her second calf. And we have a fence that can block them from the pasture. And as far as sheds we do not have one right now. But we have a huge thicker of trees on the property with a small pond. And have plans to build a shed

Went and looked at the cows today. The mother just had a calf March 15, and is already bred back with another. And the man is asking $1000 for them.

If it's vet confirmed bred back and you like the bull and her first calf then I think that's a good deal at $1k for a 3-in-1. There's lots more to oook at like body condition, udders, feet etc but unless you can take someone with you that knows what to look at those things may not be easily discernible.

Take all this info to heart before making this purchase. You also must consider the cost of hay - are you going to buy hay or purchase equipment to do it yourself? How about transporting cattle if and when the need arises? What will you do about a bull? There is a lot to consider before buying a couple of head. As someone mentioned, it's not like buying a couple of dogs. I started with two head and a few acres with a small investment years ago. I'd rather not say how much these two heads have cost me!!

I think someone mentioned it above but if you do this then you need a plan for a bull or semen or embryos. And you don't want a bull with just a couple cows. He won't be happy and you'll want to give up. If you haven't noticed yet, cattle involved long range planning. But with all this said sometimes you just gotta do it and figure it out as you go. You'll know pretty quick if it's in your blood or not!

I've actually got free hay to bale. And the equipment to do it with so hay really isn't an issue for keeping them up in the winter

KentuckySpud said:
I've actually got free hay to bale. And the equipment to do it with so hay really isn't an issue for keeping them up in the winter

Hay is still not free if you have the equipment to bale it. Fuel and maintenance never stop.

Caustic Burno said:
KentuckySpud said:

Hay is still not free if you have the equipment to bale it. Fuel and maintenance never stop.

And the cost to fertilize and spray. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but do you have the facilities to work the cattle - worming, vaccinations, fly tags, etc., etc. It can be an expensive hobby and can take up a lot of time. Good luck.

kilroy60 said:
Caustic Burno said:
KentuckySpud said:

And the cost to fertilize and spray. Also, not sure if it's been mentioned but do you have the facilities to work the cattle - worming, vaccinations, fly tags, etc., etc. It can be an expensive hobby and can take up a lot of time. Good luck.

Not to bust his bubble baleing hay can make a preacher cuss. Baler never breaks down in the barn or when there's not a threat of rain.

We've bales hay before and know it's a tough scene but I was just mentioning we had the means to go get free hay as far as not having to purchase any.

Latest posts