2nd calf off a spring bought salbarn pair

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Last spring I bought a poor shape pair knocking on deaths door. Teeth checked 4 year old cow and a week or so old heifer calf Got then to the farm ran cow through chute wormed her and put her on grass and feed. The cow put in weight pretty good but the calf has lagged behind. Well the cow is bred again would you say the 1st calf was behind because of the cows condition when the calf was born and through her first couple months of life. My dad and pawpaw said say the calf couldn't get what it needed cause the cow was in such bad shape. Or will the second calf more than likely be just as bad. Either way I'm going to let the cow calve out here due to cow prices being so low here I'd pay more to haul her than I'd make on her. The cow is now a very nice looking cow slicked off and in dange good shape and I'd say one of the gentlest I own

A good cow in good condition bred to a good bull should have a good calf. If any one of those three things is not in the equation then expect poor results.

Yes, I would say from past experiences with sale barn cows, that the first calf was shortchanged and will probably never be that good. If the cow has turned around nice, and looks decent, and you used a decent bull, she should hopefully do a better job and have a nicer calf. The only variable is that if she was shortchanged all her life previously, she may never come into what she might have, as far as milk goes. You won't know that until she has this next calf and you see how it does. That is part of the gamble of buying sale barn cows. But sometimes you get some good ones. You keep them, sell off the mediocre ones. If the cow has had good nutrition since you got her, this calf should be better health wise to start off. Whether the cow will make the milk is the question.

farmerjan said:
Yes, I would say from past experiences with sale barn cows, that the first calf was shortchanged and will probably never be that good. If the cow has turned around nice, and looks decent, and you used a decent bull, she should hopefully do a better job and have a nicer calf. The only variable is that if she was shortchanged all her life previously, she may never come into what she might have, as far as milk goes. You won't know that until she has this next calf and you see how it does. That is part of the gamble of buying sale barn cows. But sometimes you get some good ones. You keep them, sell off the mediocre ones. If the cow has had good nutrition since you got her, this calf should be better health wise to start off. Whether the cow will make the milk is the question.

Ole girl defiantly ain't wanted fir nothing since I've had her so I'll see this go around if she do g produce well I'll probably just sell her or turn her into hamburger burger

Bought a young longhorn cross cow with a 500 lb steer calf in May of 2016 for $1100. Everyone laughed at me. Weaned the steer the same day. Sold him later in the year for a beef for $800. The cow calved a couple weeks later. She now has her 4th calf this past December. She has backed up 5 months during this period. She doesn't have the biggest or the best calf but she could be the most profitable.

kenny thomas said:
Bought a young longhorn cross cow with a 500 lb steer calf in May of 2016 for $1100. Everyone laughed at me. Weaned the steer the same day. Sold him later in the year for a beef for $800. The cow calved a couple weeks later. She now has her 4th calf this past December. She has backed up 5 months during this period. She doesn't have the biggest or the best calf but she could be the most profitable.

im not above owning longhorns if you get them for a decent price ive got bred ones on pasture now paid $250-330 a head for them