Food Stamp Use

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Food Stamp Use

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:26 am

0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 am

What a waste of money, water is free. SNAP - food stamps shouldn't be allowed to be used on processed or imported foods.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2136
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 am

I agree. You should only be able to buy food you have to cook. And you don't get steaks every night. Maybe not even get a meat everyday. If you're getting free food you're not entitled to the very best
1 x

RayfromTX
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby RayfromTX » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:40 am

That got my attention. I guess that was the point. It's 5 cents on the dollar. Really not a huge deal. I won't begrudge the person on food stamps or do anything to make their day more difficult.

I'm glad I haven't had to worry about my next meal in a long time. I never forget that it is a daily issue for millions of Americans that I know nothing about. It doesn't help for me to judge the people that are struggling. When I was struggling with what I would eat that day it was because I was young and cast out and later when I burned myself with a gasoline explosion. I just did the best I could and eventually dug my way out of it.

After I got out of the hospital I couldn't work or spend time outside for a year. I was in a burn compression suit that covered my face and could not be exposed to sunlight uncovered. I couldn't get any assistance for housing or living expenses. I was able to get rehab money to go to school and 70$ a month for food stamps so I decided to go to college for a semester until I could get a job again. Soon after I started school, studying computer sciences at the University of Texas, President Reagan passed a regulation that said that you couldn't get food stamps if you were in school. After that I was starving again. Not that 70$ a month went very far.

I was white smart young motivated and male. Even with those advantages I still found myself at the grocery store deciding if it was going to be beans or rice today because I couldn't afford both. Other times I would have to choose between soap and toilet paper. I bought the soap and stole the toilet paper from the gas station. Years of being poor makes it impossible to judge those that are struggling now. We don't all choose wisely but even when we do, this life is hard when you have nothing and there are lots of reasons for that that I don't know anything about by just looking at someone. It's even harder when I am only imagining them. God bless everyone.
8 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21804
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 am

Craig Miller wrote:I agree. You should only be able to buy food you have to cook. And you don't get steaks every night. Maybe not even get a meat everyday. If you're getting free food you're not entitled to the very best


The problem here is nothing will change. Your are not going to legislate away graft and corruption.
The real issue is instead of a helping hand it has turned into full life support.
Public housing,welfare money and food stamps, what incentive is there to work.
3 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4474
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 am

RayfromTX wrote:That got my attention. I guess that was the point. It's 5 cents on the dollar. Really not a huge deal. I won't begrudge the person on food stamps or do anything to make their day more difficult.

I'm glad I haven't had to worry about my next meal in a long time. I never forget that it is a daily issue for millions of Americans that I know nothing about. It doesn't help for me to judge the people that are struggling. When I was struggling with what I would eat that day it was because I was young and cast out and later when I burned myself with a gasoline explosion. I just did the best I could and eventually dug my way out of it.

After I got out of the hospital I couldn't work or spend time outside for a year. I was in a burn compression suit that covered my face and could not be exposed to sunlight uncovered. I couldn't get any assistance for housing or living expenses. I was able to get rehab money to go to school and 70$ a month for food stamps so I decided to go to college for a semester until I could get a job again. Soon after I started school, studying computer sciences at the University of Texas, President Reagan passed a regulation that said that you couldn't get food stamps if you were in school. After that I was starving again. Not that 70$ a month went very far.

I was white smart young motivated and male. Even with those advantages I still found myself at the grocery store deciding if it was going to be beans or rice today because I couldn't afford both. Other times I would have to choose between soap and toilet paper. I bought the soap and stole the toilet paper from the gas station. Years of being poor makes it impossible to judge those that are struggling now. We don't all choose wisely but even when we do, this life is hard when you have nothing and there are lots of reasons for that that I don't know anything about by just looking at someone. It's even harder when I am only imagining them. God bless everyone.


Very candid. A post like this provides some balance. Thanks.
4 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 am

RayfromTX wrote:That got my attention. I guess that was the point. It's 5 cents on the dollar. Really not a huge deal. I won't begrudge the person on food stamps or do anything to make their day more difficult.

I'm glad I haven't had to worry about my next meal in a long time. I never forget that it is a daily issue for millions of Americans that I know nothing about. It doesn't help for me to judge the people that are struggling. When I was struggling with what I would eat that day it was because I was young and cast out and later when I burned myself with a gasoline explosion. I just did the best I could and eventually dug my way out of it.

After I got out of the hospital I couldn't work or spend time outside for a year. I was in a burn compression suit that covered my face and could not be exposed to sunlight uncovered. I couldn't get any assistance for housing or living expenses. I was able to get rehab money to go to school and 70$ a month for food stamps so I decided to go to college for a semester until I could get a job again. Soon after I started school, studying computer sciences at the University of Texas, President Reagan passed a regulation that said that you couldn't get food stamps if you were in school. After that I was starving again. Not that 70$ a month went very far.

I was white smart young motivated and male. Even with those advantages
I still found myself at the grocery store deciding if it was going to be beans or rice today because I couldn't afford both. Other times I would have to choose between soap and toilet paper. I bought the soap and stole the toilet paper from the gas station. Years of being poor makes it impossible to judge those that are struggling now. We don't all choose wisely but even when we do, this life is hard when you have nothing and there are lots of reasons for that that I don't know anything about by just looking at someone. It's even harder when I am only imagining them. God bless everyone.

Being a white male was your problem, NOT an advantage when it comes to living off the taxpayers.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3172
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 am

The link in my first post only shows soda buying. This one will show that beef,linch meat, chicken, cheese, bread and milk are also big items. I produce some of the meat.



https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career ... ?a=viewall
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8257
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 am

I think our "help" programs are absolutely wonderful for those in need. the problem is too many people "learn they system" and take advantage. They literally LIVE off the system. That irritates the heck out of me. You see people with fancier cell phones than I have, really quality clothes, jewelry, hair perfectly cut, nails done up - using food stamps. NO.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby shaz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

How is 79% of the farm bill for nutritional assistance? Why is it in the "farm" bill?
1 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5429
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I think our "help" programs are absolutely wonderful for those in need. the problem is too many people "learn they system" and take advantage. They literally LIVE off the system. That irritates the heck out of me. You see people with fancier cell phones than I have, really quality clothes, jewelry, hair perfectly cut, nails done up - using food stamps. NO.

We see them here driving a Cadillac, parked in a handicap spot, walking out to the car to get a different SNAP card cause the one they tried didn't work. True story my wife was waiting in line behind her.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21804
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I think our "help" programs are absolutely wonderful for those in need. the problem is too many people "learn they system" and take advantage. They literally LIVE off the system. That irritates the heck out of me. You see people with fancier cell phones than I have, really quality clothes, jewelry, hair perfectly cut, nails done up - using food stamps. NO.

We see them here driving a Cadillac, parked in a handicap spot, walking out to the car to get a different SNAP card cause the one they tried didn't work. True story my wife was waiting in line behind her.


This is our fault of years on sitting on our butts. While the political machine was busy buying votes.
This is now entering into the third generation.
2 x

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1790
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am

RayfromTX wrote:I was white smart young motivated and male. Even with those advantages I still found myself at the grocery store deciding if it was going to be beans or rice today because I couldn't afford both. Other times I would have to choose between soap and toilet paper. I bought the soap and stole the toilet paper from the gas station. Years of being poor makes it impossible to judge those that are struggling now. We don't all choose wisely but even when we do, this life is hard when you have nothing and there are lots of reasons for that that I don't know anything about by just looking at someone. It's even harder when I am only imagining them. God bless everyone.


I will say that I have shared similar experiences. I quit my teaching job and went back to school when I was 25. My wife was supporting us on a decent salary, but we were still broke. We would go to my parents' house on the weekends for lunch b/c we couldn't afford to make our own. And another evening, accompanied with vast amounts of stress from school, literally cried when we had to throw out a $3 steak b/c it was bad and we couldn't eat it. I don't remember what we had to eat, but we somehow salvaged and ate dinner. Having been there, it frustrates me when I see people who fill their carts with junk. I will judge, and feel entitled to b/c I have lived that life. We made choices and went without. It was so bad that when it was -20 outside, we kept the house at 60 and shoved heated rice packs in our pants to stay warm. They should buy fruits and vegetables instead of soda and chips. The ingredients for pizza instead of one fresh from the deli. I've done the math, it costs me about $3 to make a pizza, and it's not that hard to do. He//, they can even have steak every night if they don't want to eat chips and drink soda. Don't even get me started about them using SNAP on candy or fast food.

There's a big difference here in the us vs. them. You and I, we're motivated. Yes, I come from a privileged background, but that doesn't mean squat if I don't try. I see so many folks just throw their hands up and declare the world is against them, and it's not fair, it's not their fault. You can decided to use a condom and not get your girlfriend pregnant at 15. You can decide to not sell drugs. You can decide to stay in school. You can decide to not join that gang. You can decide to go to community college instead of a liberal arts school to keep debt down. I could go on, but I won't. There comes a point when it stops being the fault of society and the fault of the individual.
4 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21804
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 am

The big difference is attitude of today versus then. There was no place to go other than the woods or garden for food.
The Mrs and I were so poor when we started out we literally moved the light bulb from room to room.
We lived off banny eggs cheese and crackers for a good while.
Man back then was required to hold his head up not his hand out.
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6730
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Food Stamp Use

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

The problem goes back to the people making the rules and supposedly enforcing them not the people on the programs. As long as you have career politicians that use the programs to buy votes so they can be a congressman or senator for 40 years ALL government programs will continue down this road. Start putting term limits on these people and we might have a fighting chance to clean some of this up.
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greybeard and 10 guests