Inbred calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243":3motl3yx said:
Roll Tide
Perfect posting Ol' 243 for the topic of inbreeding.

Inbred cattle cull themselves, with lower survival rates to weaning and some will have lessor fertility.
The ones that make it will be fine and can even become national champions.

Roll Tide

dieselbeef":19igr2o3 said:
what do ya think happens in the wild? if they weren't domesticated every cow on the planet would be related somehow..brothers sisters moms dads free for all....soon as they were old enough

btw I don't turn my heifers to the bull til at least 18 mos...

Yeah I've thot of that too how it works with wild animals.. guess we don't know how many die off from inbreeding! This was an oops, my dairy cow's heifer calf wasn't weaned when she came into heat around 7 months old. She had been born a couple months before our calving season so she was a little older than the rest. We take our bulls out early enough to prevent baby heifers being bred, except we made a mistake there I guess! Live and learn! I find this line breeding topic an interesting one! Thanks for your comments!

We have a few heifers that we retained in 2014-2015 that when we put them out to pasture, after weaning them until at least 20 months old, we put some out to pasture with their sire for about 3 months until we decided we had to many out of him to put to pasture and we moved him to a different herd and bought some new bulls. We have had 4 calves out of those heifers that bred to him and should have some more before the middle of March when they will start coming out of our new bulls. The ones that we have are growing really well and the cows had zero problems having the calves and everything is going well. The first one got pink eye in both eyes when it was a couple of months old so it is stunted a little bit but otherwise they are growing and looking really good. I'm expecting to have about 10 or so calves like this so hopefully everything continues to go good with it.

Its good to be back! I've missed checking this everyday and reading things from really good cattlemen. I learn something new every time I get on here.

Well it didn't seem to hold back his mama too much! She's ready to calve again in the next couple weeks, less than a year after her first that she had so young! Excited to see what she will have being bred to an unrelated bull this time lol

Sounds like she is going to end up being a pretty good cow for you even with being bred to young. I had a heifer have a calf when she was 16 months old a couple of years ago while we had her in our heifer pen. We let her raise the calf, which ended not being much of a calf lol i got $200 for it, in the heifer pen then we put her out with a bull and she just had her second calf without any problem. She seems to be just fine with a good bag and everything.

Son of Butch":artqwxjw said:
Ol' 243":artqwxjw said:
Roll Tide
Perfect posting Ol' 243 for the topic of inbreeding.

Inbred cattle cull themselves, with lower survival rates to weaning and some will have lessor fertility.
The ones that make it will be fine and can even become national champions.

Roll Tide

Roll Tide :lol:

Latest posts