Yellow and Red Covered Tanks - Winter water

Help Support CattleToday:

opensky

Reaction score
I'll see what look like yellow water tanks with a lid and balls for drinking out in the fields. They are yellow with red balls and a red cap in the center. Is that what they are and if so, who makes them. I know it's a stupid question but I can't find them anywhere. I figured it was a ritchie product based on the coloring but I can't find anything about it online.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get water to my cattle that are going to be away from electricity this winter. I should also mention that they will be 20 miles away from me and that I work full time, so I can't be out there all hours of the day breaking ice.

I already feel silly for asking the question, so I might as well lose all pride and try to draw a picture..
waterer.jpg

At the risk of sounding too obvious, why not ask the poeple that own the place?

What you see is a liquid feeder. A cow can not get water from licking a ball. The Ritchie waterers require electricity and the animal has to push the ball down to drink.

There are solar powered heated freeze proof water tanks for cattle and horses.

http://www.suntanks.com/

The concrete tank in the ground wateres work well and only occasioanlly need the ice broke. A week of below freezing will freeze the surface but the cows will break the ice for the first couple of days.

2 things you might want to try.
1. An old "flat top" bulk milk tank might work. ( the kind with covers on top). They're insulated and usualy don't freeze up but that only works if you're adding water each day.
2. Other option is a propane powered tank heater. I've seen them advertised on Wisconsin Craigslist. According to manufacturer run quite awhile on a 20lb tank. Pricey though-around $400 or so.

Latest posts