Well that’s a wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Did some second cut alfalfa baleage today

Nice stuff.
7880A711-6DAB-47B5-918D-353595A4B68E.jpeg

0FE9065A-8E4D-42BE-ADD6-2B95E956ED29.jpeg

5AB88269-92AF-4573-BA32-01F0997FE754.jpeg4452177C-6D44-42FB-9C5E-176FA9C8974F.jpeg

Smokey skies making for rather interesting looking light today. The ash falling dirtied the white plastic as fast as we could wrap.
The last of this years bales beat the baler back to the yard, so that's a good feeling. Now on to other projects.

Question, does the force of the roll being unloaded from the wrapper, push the wrapper forward with each roll? I ask because I see it is not hooked to anything on the front.
The bale being wrapped is being pushed by a bumper that is driven by a hydraulic ram on either side of the machine. When the bale is lowered onto the deck it trips a switch which starts the wrapping cycle. The machine is steered by remote control from the cab of the tractor.

Do you ever test the haylage? It would be interesting to know how it tests. We don't do haylage here so it's all new to me. Looks beautiful!! Would it have a lot of moisture content?

The bale being wrapped is being pushed by a bumper that is driven by a hydraulic ram on either side of the machine. When the bale is lowered onto the deck it trips a switch which starts the wrapping cycle. The machine is steered by remote control from the cab of the tractor.
Very few here even wrap their bales, even fewer put up haylage.

That ought to be like cotton candy at feeding time. How is the new NH baler doing comparing it to the Vermeer baler you had?

How do you like that tubeline?

We've done close to 1000 bales this year, 600 of them silage. Wheat, sudan, and forage soybeans.

We have a Vermeer BW5500. It's okay. I tried to upload a video but it says the file is too large. It has a lot of difficulty if the bales are a little squatty or misshapen. It also seems to have an odd computer glitch that nobody can seem to figure out.

Next year we are thinking about going to chopped forage in a pit instead of wrapping bales. Would save some man power during harvest, and it would go through the mixer much better.

That ought to be like cotton candy at feeding time. How is the new NH baler doing comparing it to the Vermeer baler you had?
So far the NH is doing just fine, but only have 2500 bales on it so far. I thought the Vermeer made a heavy bale at around 1650 lbs. The bales I had weighed this year were 1815 lbs average and i still have the pressure set right in the middle of it's range. 1600 lbs if memory serves.

Do you have problem with animals getting on top and tearing the wrap? Here the coyotes use it as a lookout and their claws sometimes make a mess of the plastic

How do you like that tubeline?

We've done close to 1000 bales this year, 600 of them silage. Wheat, sudan, and forage soybeans.

We have a Vermeer BW5500. It's okay. I tried to upload a video but it says the file is too large. It has a lot of difficulty if the bales are a little squatty or misshapen. It also seems to have an odd computer glitch that nobody can seem to figure out.

Next year we are thinking about going to chopped forage in a pit instead of wrapping bales. Would save some man power during harvest, and it would go through the mixer much better.
The Tubeline just keeps doing its thing. All we've ever done to it is replace a couple of hydraulic hoses. We make our bales at 58 inches usually. If there was a major string malfunction tying a bale I have learned to not attempt to stuff it through the wrapper. Other than that if it fits through the hoop it will wrap it.

Do you have problem with animals getting on top and tearing the wrap.
Birds on some years. Worst was during a bad hopper year. I think the ravens were picking them out from under the plastic. Not sure if you can tell in the pic but there is an 8' tall game fence around the bale yard. Well all of our yards actually. So that keeps the big critters out.

The Tubeline just keeps doing its thing. All we've ever done to it is replace a couple of hydraulic hoses. We make our bales at 58 inches usually. If there was a major string malfunction tying a bale I have learned to not attempt to stuff it through the wrapper. Other than that if it fits through the hoop it will wrap it.

We do ours 50x48. Depending on moisture they'll weigh between 1800-2200lbs. That's about the max we can handle with our equipment. Baled with a Vermeer 604 Pro.

I'm real curious to see the wrapping area on the Tubeline. I feel like Vermeer should've added a third spike to support the bale as it's coming off of the deck, lowered the hoop a few inches, and use side rollers that aren't plastic. If a bale is really squatty, the film rolls will rub as the hoop goes around, spinning them backwards and breaking the film.

As for animals we did have some coons that figured out they could puncture the film and dig out something to eat. But it's not a common thing, only happens now and then. I will still feed those bales, you'll get a little spoilage in the immediate area of the puncture but most of the bale will be fine.

I did 45 rolls of beans this morning, went pretty well.

Attachments

• 20220904_072005.jpg
    20220904_072005.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220904_072019.jpg
    20220904_072019.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 16

Latest posts