Trimming Stand?

Help Support CattleToday:

klasqh

Reaction score
Ok - first of all I need someone to tell me the proper terminology for a stand - stanchion - that you tie a steer in to trim it!! We have had sheep in the past and had a trimming stand - but don't think our bull calf will jump up on it!!!!! Then after I have been properly educated in the terms for the equipment, does anyone have suggestions on where to find a good used one - we have a few cattle that we just want to trim for the fun of it to get the practice. Showing may come later. We have good clippers (left over from the sheep) - any other equipment we might need? Does anyone have simple plans that we might be able to build our own? Any things not to get? Thanks in advance for your input.

Lou Ann

Sorry I don't have any plan. The one and only I have built was designed after a friends that was right next to the one being built. I just coppied one I liked. I would say if you are goin to build one think about traveling with it. They tend to get real heavy. They sale alluminum ones but they are high$$$. I have laos seen ones with wheels and handles. Nifty I now but I think some of the extras are what make then heavy. To me one of the if not the most important thing is the head stall. I recomend making them as comfortable as posible. Hope this helps.

Scotty

klasqh":10akwgka said:
Ok - first of all I need someone to tell me the proper terminology for a stand - stanchion - that you tie a steer in to trim it!! We have had sheep in the past and had a trimming stand - but don't think our bull calf will jump up on it!!!!! Then after I have been properly educated in the terms for the equipment, does anyone have suggestions on where to find a good used one - we have a few cattle that we just want to trim for the fun of it to get the practice. Showing may come later. We have good clippers (left over from the sheep) - any other equipment we might need? Does anyone have simple plans that we might be able to build our own? Any things not to get? Thanks in advance for your input.

Lou Ann

I think the proper term is trim chute. on't know anyone that has a used on for sale but you can find one and get all the measurments and make one realitively cheap. You alo will need a good blower to go with your other eq.

Get with the local FFA teacher see if the kids can build you a trim rack. We had one built at our school a few years back. Its heavy and hard to take to shows so we also have an alluminum one. I would not suggest using the high dollar alluminum one for green animals. Last night a chicken ran under a steer in the alluminum rack. Our new rack now has some really interesting shapes.

Latest posts