to "milk out" or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

with the new high tech milking systems they have now,they tell you if a cow could have mastitis.takeoffs or not a good milker will always check their cows before an after milking.

bigbluegrass":1ou863n0 said:
How do you know if you have to machine stripp a cow?

Most do it out of habit or that was just how someone else taught them to do it. Milkers to a good job of getting all the milk that's necessary to remove that day.

TexasBred":1ytccnhv said:
bigbluegrass":1ytccnhv said:
How do you know if you have to machine stripp a cow?

Most do it out of habit or that was just how someone else taught them to do it. Milkers to a good job of getting all the milk that's necessary to remove that day.
Depends on the cow.There are a ocpule that we have to hang weights on the cups others that we have to massage the udder in a quarter or 2 to get them milked out. I don;t know if a cow is capable of letting down milk in some quarters and holding it back in others but there are some cows that will milk out all but one quarter and it takes forever to get that quarter milked out. That's where auto take offs can get you in trouble. They come off based on flow volume of milk. If they hold up the milker comes off and there is still a lot of milk in the udder.

TexasBred":2az62w93 said:
Those are the ones you get rid of, along with slow milkers.
I agree, but they ain't my cows. What we do is load one side of the barn in the middle of milking with a string of the slow/need fussing with cows and run a couple of strings through the other side. If there are any more of the slow fussers we load one side with how ever many there are and go through the drill again.

the slow milkers is 1 reason we threatened to put a 5th milker in a db 4.that way you could start milking on the other side without much of a slowdown.

I too hate slow milkers. They just hold the show up. With that said, the slow milkers that I have left tend to have to lowest SCC counts of the herd. The teat opening is smaller and keeps foreign material out better. I have a couple that are extremely fast milkers and low and behold those are the ones that have the most SCC problems.

bigbull338":2j8oj8xu said:
with the new high tech milking systems they have now,they tell you if a cow could have mastitis.takeoffs or not a good milker will always check their cows before an after milking.
Yeah my meters have conductivity sensors built in that can tell you which cows have elevated SCC as they are being milked. Very good info to have but it sure can be frustrating to see too. Pre-stripping the cows is a good way to check for mastitis, blood, etc as well as gets the cows letting down their milk so there isn't that "dry milking" period. I would think anybody who knows their cows can tell if they are milked out just by looking at them or at the very least when they apply the post dip you should be able to notice if a quarter is harder, fuller than the others.

dun":2t0mnxin said:
TexasBred":2t0mnxin said:
Those are the ones you get rid of, along with slow milkers.
I agree, but they ain't my cows. What we do is load one side of the barn in the middle of milking with a string of the slow/need fussing with cows and run a couple of strings through the other side. If there are any more of the slow fussers we load one side with how ever many there are and go through the drill again.
Neighbor had a couple of extremely slow milkers...he's get what milk he could during the milking and when he let that side of the barn out they would cut the slow milker out and put her back on the porch and run her back thru later on. We had a tandem parlor where cows were head to tail and entered and left one at a time so a slow milker didn't always hold things up but still tried to get rid of them.

Latest posts