Tiny Highland Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Update... Shorty is now almost two and still very small but super cute. We had two calves this year... one normal sized bull calf and one very small heifer... neither was from shorty's mom.
People are buying our cows as pets so we have decided it was time to stop fighting it and just raise miniature highlands. We found a Micro mini bull out of Montana and will be AI'ing our cows from now on!
So it's a new adventure for us!
Sheila

Attachments

• 20201227_124650.jpg
    20201227_124650.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 11
My advice is sell him as a miniature lol. People love the cute little ones for pets!
I think Shorty has a permanent home here but yes, from now on we will be breeding specifically for the littles 😊

I belong to a mini highland cattle group. There is a dna trait that some carry that makes them mini like this. My guess is yours carries it. The smart thing to do with that bull calf was to keep his balls on and sell his sperm. I cannot believe what some people are paying for them and if you were out this way id for sure want him. I would breed his mother to a highland bull carrying the trait. Because she probably has it.

If youre interested in selling him as a mini pet i suggest you join the facebook group. Its called "Miniature Highland Cattle Breeders". I bet youd have an easy time selling him on there

I breed a mini red angus. Full grown about 600-800lbs. My calves sell around $2k under 1 year old. They are a "pet"

I belong to a mini highland cattle group. There is a dna trait that some carry that makes them mini like this. My guess is yours carries it. The smart thing to do with that bull calf was to keep his balls on and sell his sperm. I cannot believe what some people are paying for them and if you were out this way id for sure want him. I would breed his mother to a highland bull carrying the trait. Because she probably has it.

If youre interested in selling him as a mini pet i suggest you join the facebook group. Its called "Miniature Highland Cattle Breeders". I bet youd have an easy time selling him on there

I breed a mini red angus. Full grown about 600-800lbs. My calves sell around $2k under 1 year old. They are a "pet"
I wish I hadn't banded him at 3 weeks. 😔 At the time I had no idea...what a waste!
I actually bought straws from a micro mini bull out of Montana and we will officially be breeding the minis! I am super excited. I have one cow who is 43 inches full grown and she should make a good cross with this highland micro mini bull. I will also be breeding Shorty's mom to that same micro mini bull.
You are absolutely right...they get crazy money for the little guys! I am on that mini highland facebook page... love seeing all the babies!

Latest posts