Texas farmer takes on big grocery chains with his half-acre garden

Help Support CattleToday:

SW Oregon Febuary I started 6 kinds of tomatoes, zuchini, patipan and yellow squash, mustad green spinach and swiss chard on flats in the house. I'm not paying $4 for a tomato plant. Built an above ground 10'x4' strawberry patch and planted out everberring strawberry crowns.

Well, it snowed 4 times. I would go out and but upside down yogurt containers on the strawberries, take them off, run and put them on again on with the sleet.

In March I planted out the squash and tomatoes in a warmer period which survived but just sitting there. The squash plants all damped off and died. Started more inthe house. I planted out a row of 12 boysenberries.

Meanwhile, I had decided to start a home vineyard. There is one old Concord vine that covers a fence and going into a plum tree that I made jelly out of last year. I started 50 cuttings of 7 kinds of muscat grapes on a heat hat in the house. Most are budding out now. I will grow them out in 2 gallon pots and plant them in the ground next Fall. This gives me time for a he77 of a lot more work building trellises and planting holes.

The latest excitement I'm starting a honeybee hive. When we moved here in 2020 there was a colony of honeybees in the garage wall. we called some local beekeepers and they vaccuumed them out, including the quenn. I asked, can I put them in a bee hive? They said not they would just go back into the wall. But if I got a hive and put lemongrass oil on cotten balls it might lure a wild hive. No bees ever came.

So this year I joined the local bee society. On April 29th my new colony of bees with honey, pollen and baby bees with a queen is arriving in time for the apple tree bloom and I will but them in my hive, I have found that getting honeybees while knowing nothing about bees is like getting a horse and knowing nothing about horses. I have checked out every bee book in the Coos County library. Finally it is warming up, knock on wood.

Latest posts