Spring has Sprung

Help Support CattleToday:

He is so envious of me and can't wait to go back to a normal year of just feeding hay. He hates all the extra daily work augering pellets out of the bin and scooping corn silage. He said he doesn't understand why guys make feeding cows more complicated than necessary on an annual basis.
It makes a few folks feel useful to have a lot of daily chores.
Others put no value on their time, and little value on their depreciation.
Many have emotional issues with selling down cows.

I traveled yesterday from Wisconsin through Illinois and across Indiana. Seen no cattle. What do farmers do all winter? It had either had been snow covered or was too wet to do any ground work for the last several months when I traveled through that area. Do they go to Florida or what do they do from harvest time until spring?

Ice fishing on Sunday. Snowmobiling this morning! But the wintery mix has melted again.

We got 1.5" moisture in the last two days. Frost is not out so not sure how much will soak in...

Wind gusts to 60 mph in ND.

I traveled yesterday from Wisconsin through Illinois and across Indiana. Seen no cattle. What do farmers do all winter? Do they go to Florida or what do they do from harvest time until spring?

Corn Beans and Cancun if you inherited land. Otherwise, probably have to work in town to pay JD Finance.

Snowbirds usually come back in March and turn on the shop furnace. It cost about U$S 300,000 to build a really nice shop before inflation hit.

Spring has unsprung. Forecasting 1 to 2' of snow in ND this week. We are in a rain/snow mix area and it is pouring right now. Luckily our calves are still in a safe warm place.

The corn and bean boys are very unhappy. Snow really sets back the soil warm up, since sun can not reach the dark dirt.

I tried to drive some posts into sod yesterday. Only got down a couple inches before hitting frost... Could be more snowmobiling this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts