show politics

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
i am not real familiar with the ins and out of the show cattle thing but I had a question for your show cattle people. How much is this political and cattle winning because of returning favors for being a good customer or friends with the judges. I have heard of people talking about some of this but I wondered just how much of that really goes on.

plbcattle":2607ad8t said:
How much is this political and cattle winning because of returning favors for being a good customer or friends with the judges. I have heard of people talking about some of this but I wondered just how much of that really goes on.

When it comes to a close call, more than you'll want to believe.

Unfortunately they are political.. showing cattle and horses are pretty much the same in that respect. Think about it as a learning experience.. having your kids gain responsibility, and a fun thing to do!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that junior shows are probably more political than open shows.

TheBullLady":25ucpo12 said:
Unfortunately they are political.. showing cattle and horses are pretty much the same in that respect. Think about it as a learning experience.. having your kids gain responsibility, and a fun thing to do!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that junior shows are probably more political than open shows.

I fell lkike the open shows are more political. Guess its a matter of opinion.

I would have to say that Junior shows are more political....The parents get more involved in wanting the kids to win.

I would say that the open shows are way more political, but the junior shows, that i go to, are doing their best to catch up.

The little weekend TCCA show can be political depending on who the judge is. Most of the time they have some ag teacher or county agent or some guy that is a breeder and those guys tend to just survive basically. But there are some judged that are VERY political. You have to look at who the judge is and decide which show you want to go to.

We have withdrawn entries from more than one show based solely on who the judge is. We dont see the point in going and spending our money to show our cattle, just to have some judge that leaves everyone angry after the show

TheBullLady":32cc21nk said:

Agree! Politics, Politics, Politics! And, it probably helps if you are one of the "Top Ranches" that spend a lot of money on advertising. And, probably the more shows you win, the more likely to expect that any given judge may select you as a winner (probably safer for the judge that way--especially when there are 2 or more entries that they quality is very close).

I also feel that Showing is an expensive "game"! Can be a no-brainer when there are only TWO entries in a class and the "best" one gets "Champion" and the other one gets "Reserve Champion". What does this tell you? Would be much more valid of there were 10 entries and you won "Champion" and the next one was "Reserve."

And, the other side of showing: A Social event for exhibitors and attendees. Marketing exposure. Etc.

And, it probably helps if you are one of the "Top Ranches" that spend a lot of money on advertising. And, probably the more shows you win, the more likely to expect that any given judge may select you as a winner

What many people fail to realize though, is that the "Top Ranches" are that for a reason, and spend the money to advertise for a reason - They usually, not always, have better animals! When you win shows, you are more likely to win more shows for the same reason.

Some people seem to think that politics is 100% of who wins and why they win.

Once upon a time I saw the wrong bull win Grand Champion at the State Fair of Texas. What is funny about it is the judge took about a half hour to finally decide to give it to the bull that was obviously superior although he was carrying the wrong brand. During the wait for his decision someone called out from the audience, Do you want a flashlight so you can see the brands

Oh well, if you are a Brahman breed you understand.

My opinion from being invovled with the Show Ring for the past 13 years is that the Open Shows are WAY TOO POLITICAL. The Junior Shows, for the most part, aren't too bad. As someone said, when you get an Ag teacher for a judge, they often get a little political, but that's to be expected. I still think the best calves usually win at the Junior Shows, assuming they have a showman at the halter.

We were at a show last may and had a judge "preach" to us about a certain characteristic that is needed more in the show ring, longer horns on the animals. This was during the drive for the JR. Champion female, and there happened to be 3 females with longer-type horns for show cattle, and then the oldest one had the shortest horns of all. He then proceeded to pick the oldest heifer to win Jr. Champion. Why? His best friend for the past 20+/- years was at the end of the lead rope. THis was a nice heifer, was close to the top of her class, but by no means should have been the Jr. Champion female.
We see more, who's at the end of the lead than what brand is on the calf but both hurt the shows just as bad

Cherokee.. some day the ABBA will get smart and stop requiring registered Brahmans be branded! I've made that suggestion more than once, but no one wants to hear it. Makes it way too easy in the show ring.

The top two breeders have it made.. everyone is showing their cattle and bringing them business.

If they quit branding the people showing would just start wearing certain colors which I understand is the way they do it in unbranded breeds. LOL

I would say, having shown as a junior and in the open shows, I found the open shows to be more heavily political,

The you scratch my back, I'll scratch rules seem to apply but only sporadically

I have to say I was on both ends, as a small producer and a nobody really I kicked some major but doing what they said could not be done, I beat some of the big wigs under judges who didn't care what the outside politicos had to say or think, I have found that when you get down to brass tacks it is neary impossible to beat a great cow/heifer, bull when the competition is just not up to parr, and you also have to be willing to admit when the competition is better than you, which of course is hard to you when you are already biased to your own bovine that you have raised and are emotionaly invested in

Latest posts