Planning for Baldys or Baldies - of either colour, best path ?

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi All,

While I am learning, I may as well ask, as things take so long with cattle....

I would like to produce some baldies, I already have some baldy calves, steer, bull and a red baldy heifer.

I have some angus heifers, who prob wont be any good to breed for 12 months or so, they are mainly black, but some reds, I also have Hereford, but only one heifer.

So, my thoughts are, to do some baldies.

I can buy baldy heifer calves, but the prob may be knowing the exact breeding, plus, am already 1 step down the track if start breeding them...

I can breed my Angus heifers to a good Hereford bull, or AI, however the concern here is if the calves would be too big, and, Angus heifers is what I have most of, I could always use an angus bull that throws small calves first, but, then, were talking a few years from now to start evaluating results.

Could look for more Hereford heifers, and grow them for next year, then joind with an angus bull or AI them...

Too confuse things, I have a baldy calf that is still a bull, I also have a steer, this bull looks similar and is very mild mannered so far, but then, maybe he should be made a steer before too late, as I have no exact background on him, and maybe he would not be any use if using over my 2 coloured Angus, and existing Hereford ?

I am very open, and not easily offended, so fire away at the opinion, but keep in mind, I am learning, not a stud farm, nor flush with the folding green stuff. At same time, I do noty want to save money and waste years and years of time, if that makes sense.

What do you say ?

greggy said:
Hi All,

While I am learning, I may as well ask, as things take so long with cattle....

I would like to produce some baldies, I already have some baldy calves, steer, bull and a red baldy heifer.

I have some angus heifers, who prob wont be any good to breed for 12 months or so, they are mainly black, but some reds, I also have Hereford, but only one heifer.

So, my thoughts are, to do some baldies.

I can buy baldy heifer calves, but the prob may be knowing the exact breeding, plus, am already 1 step down the track if start breeding them...

I can breed my Angus heifers to a good Hereford bull, or AI, however the concern here is if the calves would be too big, and, Angus heifers is what I have most of, I could always use an angus bull that throws small calves first, but, then, were talking a few years from now to start evaluating results.

Could look for more Hereford heifers, and grow them for next year, then joind with an angus bull or AI them...

Too confuse things, I have a baldy calf that is still a bull, I also have a steer, this bull looks similar and is very mild mannered so far, but then, maybe he should be made a steer before too late, as I have no exact background on him, and maybe he would not be any use if using over my 2 coloured Angus, and existing Hereford ?

I am very open, and not easily offended, so fire away at the opinion, but keep in mind, I am learning, not a stud farm, nor flush with the folding green stuff. At same time, I do noty want to save money and waste years and years of time, if that makes sense.

What do you say ?

You have several options and I would say think it through and choose what will work best for you practically and economically. If the calves you have are that far from breeding it will be over two years before you would have calves to sell so that would be a long time to wait. You could maybe find some heifers about ready to breed or bred already. Cows would be another option. Either Hereford or Angus females will work, I would advise to use a Calvin grade bull of what ever breed you choose if you go the heifer route . I prefer an Angus for heifers, but calving ease Herefords are available. I would caution you about using the BWF bull calf you have if you don't know any information or n his parents breeding or about his birth.

Re the bull calf, on heifers....or at all.

I am thinking at all, even if he looks good now.

As I have a number of Angus, I prob need a Hereford bull, but I was questioning my efforts and was starting to think I should have, or, should from now on, build up Hereford heifers.

Sounds like your all over the place..best way to solve it is,breed every thing black for a few generations..I like too know what I'm working with...the baldy bull is ""at least"" a 50% red carrier..youll get a good predictable/marketable, calf.. going with a registered black Angus bull..go in one direction before you go in another..

Yes, I am sort of all over the place.

I could look out for more herefords.

But at the same time, a decent angus bull would work with every heifer I already have.

I will make the baldy a steer most likey, would have no prob selling him, now or later as a steer.

Thanks, I do appreciate everyones input.

Baldies don't self-replicate well, the F1 cross is the about the only reliable "baldie" (or brockle).. Baldie to baldie might go back to solid or back to a more Hereford color, Baldie to a solid color will usually reduce the white markings
Pretty much any solid red or black will give you a baldie/brockle when mated to a Hereford.. Two of my best cows were from a Hereford, once with a Saler sire and once with a Shorthorn

Nesikep said:
Baldies don't self-replicate well, the F1 cross is the about the only reliable "baldie" (or brockle).. Baldie to baldie might go back to solid or back to a more Hereford color, Baldie to a solid color will usually reduce the white markings
Pretty much any solid red or black will give you a baldie/brockle when mated to a Hereford.. Two of my best cows were from a Hereford, once with a Saler sire and once with a Shorthorn
Nesi, that's a cool photo as usual. why you got em tied together?

Nesikep said:

Right.

So your better off always with a good Angus or Hereford (or both) cow herd, and select the bull...or have one of each.

No point in looking for baldy heifers, nor, bulls.

I also have some Murry Greys, they would go with either bull type.

This is all interesting, what else should I watch out for ?

Nesikep said:

PS...

What happens too the meat in these various scenarios....

"IF" you have all Angus or all Hereford's, and you cross with the opposite breed, you will end up with your F1 baldies - who make the BEST cows in your herd. Once you build up a herd of F1 baldies, you could breed to a Continental bull (like a Simmental - choice of either red or black).
I would NOT use your bull calf for your breeding program.
Always use the best bull possible for the cow. If you have the ability to breed AI, you can pick an easy calving Angus bull for your Herefords, and an easy calving Hereford bull for your Angus heifers.

If you had a some black cows that have had a calf or two, a Fleck bull like the one I just got could make you some baldies.

We use Hereford on Angus then go back with Angus on the baldie females and rotate back and forth with the resulting crosses. Works well for us. Our mid March and April baldie steers weaned over 700 last week.

So, groups of Angus, Hereford, and even Murray greys, would work really, you could alternate between bull types, or put specific bulls with specific breeds.

I am thinking more and more, get Hereford heifers, and Angus, as close to pure, as I can, do not buy any cross bottle calves unless making steers, or willing to let go heifers not looking the way I want...

Latest posts