? On embryos purchased with 50% preg guarantee

Help Support CattleToday:

Jsfreem

Reaction score
We purchased embryos from 2 different angus breeders both with a 50% pregnancy guarantee. I own and raised all the recip cows which were all registered cows. I followed my embryologist protocol to the letter. We had a 75% conception on one group and 0% on the other, all put in the same day and time. Should we expect more embryos of the same or similar mating or credit to use in a future sale.

I wouldn't take the same mating with the same flush date, sounds like there was an issue with those. Id want different flush date or something similar, or refund.

Embryo purchased at sales usually have a conception rate guarantee stipulated. Did you buy them off a sale, or private treaty?

Just wondering if you gave your recips any selenium? Either Mu-Se or Multimin injectable does the trick.
I learned the hard way that if I didn't give my cows selenium before A.I. they would not take.
It's not the same as a natural breeding...I also found that Concept Aid works well, or I believe it improved my conception rate on embryo transfer.
Also, it makes a difference whether or not your cows are nursing because you want the cows to be putting weight on.
The highest conception rate for recips is heifers (you may have heard that some people recommend you only use sexed semen on heifers...it's because they are more fertile). I ended up bottle-feeding a calf because the 100 percent Holstein heifer wouldn't let the calf nurse..so there is a down side. (She also liked to kick when she went to the dairy).

We also use Concept Aide mineral. Our pregnancy rates on embryos are around 90%. We use natural heats, and get along well with that. Almost ALL of the embryos we buy are a set of three, with the guarantee of 1- 60 day pregnancy. We have NEVER had to claim a refund, or replacement. We often get three out of three to stick...

I would go with a different mating. Just to play it safe.

The number of embryos implanted matters. If you put 8 total embryos in (4 of each), it's not a statistically significant enough sample size to really tell you one way or another. If you put in 20 from each, it's a different story.

Air gator":165ac1yd said:
Just wondering if you gave your recips any selenium? Either Mu-Se or Multimin injectable does the trick.
I learned the hard way that if I didn't give my cows selenium before A.I. they would not take.
It's not the same as a natural breeding...I also found that Concept Aid works well, or I believe it improved my conception rate on embryo transfer.
Also, it makes a difference whether or not your cows are nursing because you want the cows to be putting weight on.
The highest conception rate for recips is heifers (you may have heard that some people recommend you only use sexed semen on heifers...it's because they are more fertile). I ended up bottle-feeding a calf because the 100 percent Holstein heifer wouldn't let the calf nurse..so there is a down side. (She also liked to kick when she went to the dairy).

How long before AI do you give them the Se ?

In some cases I gave selenium to them at the same time they were inseminated and the breeding took.
Ideally, I would want it a week or two before. I would also note that the first go round we only used multimin shots.
Then when Conceptaid became available locally we added that and the conception rates went up.
The other thing is that I have read a lot of research and the higher the body score the higher the conception rate unless they are terribly obese.

Latest posts