Nite or morning butcher drop off

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So I have 4 steers(only 2 go now, 2 go in Oct) that have to be at the local(5miles away) butcher shop by 9.30am. I have to be at work at 7am. So dropping off tonite is easiest. They are sold to local friends and family paying by hanging weight. I want live weights for myself, just out of curiosity. Ive fed them for a year so I want to know how I've done, live weight vs hanging. These steers are in top condition. Id guess 1350lbs.
So question is, will they lose enough weight/condition to justify the hassle of dropping them at 6am vs 6pm tonite?

Do you live anywhere near a truck stop... somewhere that has scales? Run the trailer with them in it, on the way, then across the scales on your way home... we have a weight of the truck trailer and then only run it across when loaded. Not enough difference to worry time to time unless there is a ton of stuff in the back for some reason.
We take ours in the night before, just easier...
I am assuming your local shop can weigh live vs hanging? Most here do not have outside scales, just hanging.

We figure when we haul cattle to the stockyards and have to sit in line during the busy times, that they will lose up to 100 lbs in the trailer in the warmer weather...

So I have 4 steers(only 2 go now, 2 go in Oct) that have to be at the local(5miles away) butcher shop by 9.30am. I have to be at work at 7am. So dropping off tonite is easiest. They are sold to local friends and family paying by hanging weight. I want live weights for myself, just out of curiosity. Ive fed them for a year so I want to know how I've done, live weight vs hanging. These steers are in top condition. Id guess 1350lbs.
So question is, will they lose enough weight/condition to justify the hassle of dropping them at 6am vs 6pm tonite?
As long as there is some hay and water in the holding pen, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you live anywhere near a truck stop... somewhere that has scales? Run the trailer with them in it, on the way, then across the scales on your way home... we have a weight of the truck trailer and then only run it across when loaded. Not enough difference to worry time to time unless there is a ton of stuff in the back for some reason.
We take ours in the night before, just easier...
I am assuming your local shop can weigh live vs hanging? Most here do not have outside scales, just hanging.

We figure when we haul cattle to the stockyards and have to sit in line during the busy times, that they will lose up to 100 lbs in the trailer in the warmer weather...
Yeah they have a set of scales for weighing single steers. Nite is easier for me too, but if it going to cost me. Or worse yet, affect the meat then I want to do whats best. In past I've sold a few, but never so many and I'm trying to create a customer base

Latest posts