Neighbors bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This feller must like our cows second time in a few months he's come to visit. He come through both times from another neighbor's field. He seems calm and so far not bad to deal with. He jumps the fence. First time he mashed it down pretty good, this time not as bad he's getting better or worse 😂
They are good neighbors, the last time he said he'd send the bull on if he did again.
Kind of like the bull, I guess I'm so used to another neighbors wild Jersey bulls getting in on us that it makes this bull look real good.
Our big 4 yr old bull is pretty laid back he keeps an eye on the smaller ones but doesn't pay much attention. If my younger Simmental bull was in that field they'd probably be fighting as they are closer in size.
I reckon it's a Charolais cross.8FCC3562-5D82-4353-8672-2480DF437332.jpeg9BBD2187-F4DF-4DA0-AF8F-0D5B94A4488F.jpeg

This feller must like our cows second time in a few months he's come to visit. He come through both times from another neighbor's field. He seems calm and so far not bad to deal with. He jumps the fence. First time he mashed it down pretty good, this time not as bad he's getting better or worse 😂
They are good neighbors, the last time he said he'd send the bull on if he did again.
Kind of like the bull, I guess I'm so used to another neighbors wild Jersey bulls getting in on us that it makes this bull look real good.
Our big 4 yr old bull is pretty laid back he keeps an eye on the smaller ones but doesn't pay much attention. If my younger Simmental bull was in that field they'd probably be fighting as they are closer in size.
I reckon it's a Charolais cross.View attachment 34728View attachment 34729
I think you should adopt him. :)

He's better than a jersey for sure.

In the reverse, my ex father in law had a neighbor across the road with bad fences, the cows were always out. The ex in law told him if he didn't keep the cows in he was buying a jersey bull and turning him loose. Neighbor said you wouldn't, ex in law said try me. Fences improved after that.

I think you should adopt him. :)
I thought that for a moment 😂then came back to my senses. He would jump the fence and be on the state highway on one side or old railroad on the other on the place that I keep bulls when not with cows. I don't like fence jumpers, sold a decent cow for that reason a couple years ago.

He's better than a jersey for sure.

In the reverse, my ex father in law had a neighbor across the road with bad fences, the cows were always out. The ex in law told him if he didn't keep the cows in he was buying a jersey bull and turning him loose. Neighbor said you wouldn't, ex in law said try me. Fences improved after that.
We have one or more wild Jersey bull encounters every year, so far we've just had one calf from it and it was a heifer. She's made a fine cow, but looks like a Jersey. Sure would not want any bull calves cause my cows are either red or heterozygous black.

Yeah, but it's temporary. He not likely to breed any cows, my big bull will draw the line at that, he'll tolerate him till he starts messing with something.
I'm hoping that bull will keep on trucking once he gets loaded.
He's not a bad looking bull at all. And you say he has good temperment? Shame he has to go to sale barn. But, you can't teach or train them not to get out, and he wouldn't really fit into your Angus/Simm/Hereford program. Or would he?

Put a ring in his nose, hang about 18" of lite gate chain on it then put up a hot wire with a really good fence charger. The one or two that I've "trained " stay trained.
That sounds like a good idea and I can see how that might work. That is something the bull's owner ought to do, to the bull and his fences, if he wanted to keep him.

Last edited:
He's not a bad looking bull at all. And you say he has good temperment? Shame he has to go to sale barn. But, you can't teach or train them not to get out, and he wouldn't really fit into your Angus/Simm/Hereford program. Or would he?
I really don't have any need for the bull.
I reckon I just took a liking to him because he hasn't tried to kill me, or run the other way like a idiot like the usual bulls that get over into our pasture.
A couple years ago 2 Jersey bulls got over on us. We tried getting them to the barn but one was so bad he would turn and come at me and never could get him up the hill to the barn to load out.
Had to hire a cowboy to rope him and get him in a trailer. Then we've had several other crazy ones too from that neighbor.

Latest posts