Need steer to gain 280 by August 5.

Help Support CattleToday:

I love that your looking at this as a learning experience for your child. My son was having trouble with a calf gaining one year and I told him to contact Auburn. He spoke with Dr. Rankin, who was so kind and patient with him. Dr. Rankin actually sent him a feed mixture to have made at the local feed mill. We used that ration for many years, the guy at the feed store said it got so popular that he named it Jacob's blend....should of been Rankin's blend but it sure tickled Jacob. Your state land grand university has cattle nutritionist on staff, I would highly recommend contacting them or your local extension livestock agent for assistance. If that calf is a belted he will have some issues getting him to weight, they are smaller cattle, your also going to go backward a bit when you steer the calf. Get a hip height measurement on the calf if you know he was born in Sept. Then the calf is 6 months old for that age frame score would be:
1-34.8"
2-36.8"
3-38.8"
4-40.8"
5-42.9"
6-44.9
7-46.9
8-48.9
9-51.0
Ideal for a show steer should be between the frame 4 and 6.

Best of luck with the project, your making some great memories with your child.

edited to add: Jacob's first steer was 1/2 Jersey milk cow and 1/2 Maine the calf was 12 months old on show day. Needless to say he didn't do very well with him, but he learned a whole lot. He used the money from the sale of that calf to get his next steer, which he purchased locally for 600.00. He worked his tail off used what he had learned and was determined to do better, he had the grand champion that year. He didn't spend big bucks but he did spend lots of hours working with the steer. He actually beat a bunch of kids that purchased their steers every year at the Louisville culb calf sale, so had about 1/3 the investment. He had a scale in the barn he would weigh the steer and the feed. The steer would get 2% of his body weight. He would stand and watch the calf eat, and time him after so long (I can't remember the time) he would pull the feed away. He did not leave grain in front of him, it got to where the calf would clean it up pretty fast. He weighed him weekly and adjusted the feed amount weekly. Another thing he learned is feed at the same time every day! Keeping the calf on a schedule helps. That red ribbon the first year ended up being the best lesson he ever learned, many times you learn more form not winning than you ever will learn from winning. Many of those kids that went out and purchased those high priced calves never learned a doggin thing about feeding out a steer.

gizmom

Latest posts