Nearly 40% of 2019 farm income will come from federal aid and insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't compete with a foreign country because of their input cost, and I can't compete with a BTO that gets padded. It' getting hard to compete. Sold a pretty nice 600 pound bull yesterday for 1.15. My fault he was a bull, the only calf that made it to weaning intact, but still.

Bigfoot said:
I can't compete with a foreign country because of their input cost, and I can't compete with a BTO that gets padded. It' getting hard to compete. Sold a pretty nice 600 pound bull yesterday for 1.15. My fault he was a bull, the only calf that made it to weaning intact, but still.
In the meat freezer at the store he will taste the same. Probably average selling finished product $5-$8 a pound and I am sure the testicles will be in the meat somewhere, probably the hamburger..

A bullet, a few minutes for Mexican butchers, freezer time, haul bill to the store, butcher expense to process finish product at the store. There is a lot of built in profit along that line and a heck of a lot less aggravation than the beginning producer has.

That's still more than here.... I'm not even going into town for the sale today. Spent hours there last Friday and prices were about the same as 3 weeks ago. Most all feeder bulls here are 1.00-1.20 at best. But the only thing going is that prices seem to be the same for all sizes. Used to be the smaller 4-5 wts would bring more per pound than 6 wts and up. Now the 6-8 wts are bringing the nearly the same as the smaller ones. So added weight is going to help in the gross amount of the check. If you have some grass like we have left, then the gain is not costly. There won't be any regrowth of fall grass from it being too dry and hot for too long, the rain now is all well and good but won't grow us any more grass here. We are looking for 20's tonight and that will pretty much shut down cool season growth.

We had one that got through as a bull. Was going to get him up and band him with the big bander, then hold him for a little bit, but he was such a nut case, getting him in was a real crap shoot. So when we got him in with some others, and could keep him in the catch pen and barn with the other steers we were going to sell, he went as a bull. He was weaned and weighed over 600, and I was so glad to see him gone. You take your lumps for some things.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
That's on you as you said BF.

He was 11 cents back from a comparable steer. One could possibly argue he was 40 pounds heavier than he would have been castrated. My family argues this case every time we get together.

farmerjan said:
That's still more than here.... I'm not even going into town for the sale today. Spent hours there last Friday and prices were about the same as 3 weeks ago. Most all feeder bulls here are 1.00-1.20 at best. But the only thing going is that prices seem to be the same for all sizes. Used to be the smaller 4-5 wts would bring more per pound than 6 wts and up. Now the 6-8 wts are bringing the nearly the same as the smaller ones. So added weight is going to help in the gross amount of the check. If you have some grass like we have left, then the gain is not costly. There won't be any regrowth of fall grass from it being too dry and hot for too long, the rain now is all well and good but won't grow us any more grass here. We are looking for 20's tonight and that will pretty much shut down cool season growth.

We had one that got through as a bull. Was going to get him up and band him with the big bander, then hold him for a little bit, but he was such a nut case, getting him in was a real crap shoot. So when we got him in with some others, and could keep him in the catch pen and barn with the other steers we were going to sell, he went as a bull. He was weaned and weighed over 600, and I was so glad to see him gone. You take your lumps for some things.

This one wasn't banded at birth because his mother is a man killer. He got the gene, because he never came in the catch pen from March til now. Kinda glad he's down the road.

Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

He was 11 cents back from a comparable steer. One could possibly argue he was 40 pounds heavier than he would have been castrated. My family argues this case every time we get together.

Then our Kentucky market is weaker than I thought.

Mind if I ask about the breeding of this bull calf?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Then our Kentucky market is weaker than I thought.

Mind if I ask about the breeding of this bull calf?

He was the top of the mark on 6 weight bulls 1.15 1/2. He was 3/4 angus and 1/4 beefmaster. trained eye couldn't have spotted the beefmaster. Overnight stand, so he could have weighed more, but I was pleased with his weaning weight. Plan is to hold this weaning and the next til January. I'm terrible at guessing weights, but I have several that will match him in size. They'll be getting a little too big by the time 60-80 more days pass. I got hay and no money, so here we go.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Corbitt Wall has been lying to me.
hadn't watched corbitt in a while, but the good prices he showed was in Nebraska or around there i think.

Western and northern plains markets are always higher. The trucking from here, especially in Va., kills us and the cattle have to go some real distance to get to where they can put them on wheat or something else. Then we don't have the framey cattle that aren't fatter.... ours seem to put on body as well as size and the ones that run them out there want leaner animals that will gain. And top that off, many, many here "trailer wean" and it hurts them too. I listened to some of the guys talking a week ago at our local market, some that buy the bulls and then work them, most are probably not weaned, and they were talking about how many were getting sick from the crazy hot weather we had into Oct and then if they went somewhere colder or wetter...., these calves were getting sick and several have talked about losses. Even one guy was saying how he has had quite a few that were supposed to be weaned, not bawling, that knew what a bunk and water trough was, and they were getting sick too.

Seems like you got to be able to hit markets in Mo, and west, at least , to get better prices.

Our newly formed Rockbridge Cattle Assn. is hoping to have a load(s) to go in Mar/April. Don't know if they have the particulars worked out yet, if they are going to be able to handle multiple weight groups.... they will have to be weaned and have some vaccs....

Bigfoot said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

If you only took an .11 hit, by being a bull, then you did good if he had the same attitude as his dam. I think considering, your steers aren't doing as good as ours here, and I don't think ours are doing all that hot. Ours will run 1.20 to 1.40's on the average.