Moved cows today

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I moved cows today. Up at four this morning, drove three hours to the ranch, and once saddled up we were done by 10:30. We were lucky, most of the cows were on the east end where we need to go to cross the highway. Drove them down the highway about 200 yards, through the gate and about a quarter mile to water where we left them. I'm pretty sure we got all the pairs. Had to work on the fence a little, and then drove home. Once home I worked on the swather. I had the pickup real was slowing down and sometimes stopping. I think I finally figured out what was wrong. Finally home at eight tonight, then supper. I am beat tonight.

20220801_110959.jpg

20220801_111011.jpg

20220801_111015.jpg

How many acres do you figure for summer grazing per pair in that area?

Thanks.

Oh I think my uncle figures between 30 to 40 acres per pair. The pasture they just came out of was almost 3 sections. It is a good pasture for getting them bred, as it is not all that big and only has one water. They were there for almost two months. We didn't want to graze it down to hard, would like some grass to come back on next spring. The pasture that they went into is about 10 sections and has one well and two ponds. I have not been to the ponds yet, not really sure how much water there is in them.

There was a guy from back east somewhere that had bought a 40 acre chunk of the Red Desert several years ago and ask one of my uncles neighbors how many cow he could run. I think he was a bit surprised when told that he could only run one cow.

An old rancher was asked how many cows he could run to a section.
He said "4. Sometimes 5 but usually 4." 😊
He never overgrazed and his ranch showed it. He was east of Billings.

Cowboy Ram, you only have 1 well and 2 ponds in 10 sections? Did I read that right?

An old rancher was asked how many cows he could run to a section.
He said "4. Sometimes 5 but usually 4." 😊
He never overgrazed and his ranch showed it. He was east of Billings.

Cowboy Ram, you only have 1 well and 2 ponds in 10 sections? Did I read that right?
Yes you did. I guess there is another well, but someone covered it up. It is near a gravel pit, and the guys pulling out the gravel covered it up. The place belongs to my uncle. He would get better use of the grass if he put another well on it.

Thanks. I can get by with 2 acres per pair here, but try to allot 3 acres per pair. Better for the grass, and I don't have to scramble as quick if we have a dry year.

Latest posts