Livestock Marking chalk/sticks

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Does anyone know how easily the marking stick's come off an animal's hide? Weird Question I know...Am needing to draw a skeleton on my mare for my son;s halloween costume class in 2 weeks and thought those livestock marking sticks might do the trick....provided they wash off semi easily.

spinandslide":2y138e9d said:
Does anyone know how easily the marking stick's come off an animal's hide? Weird Question I know...Am needing to draw a skeleton on my mare for my son;s halloween costume class in 2 weeks and thought those livestock marking sticks might do the trick....provided they wash off semi easily.

Sarah....just squirt it with a good dose of WD-40 and take a curry comb to it....will come right off and leave her pretty and slick :nod:

You have much more artistic skill than I do if you can pull that one off. I once tried to write the ear tag numbers of a set of bulls on their sides with paint sticks so there would be less confusion in a sale (we could bring 3 in at a time without having to turn them so much for the buyers to read the ear tags). THAT was an absolutely idiotic idea in practice and I think created even more confusion with the audience. It is hard enough to put a 5 or a 6 on the side of a bred cow (to indicate how many months bred she is) where it is legible.

spinandslide":2j5k52ji said:

I don't know about the marking sticks, but a can of spray paint will wear off in a couple of weeks - last year one of our boarders ended up with a spray-painted mare, courtesy of a couple of mischievious buddies with way too much time on their hands! :lol: No ill results, except she did look a bit funny for a week or two.

spinandslide":3klw2ks5 said:
Am needing to draw a skeleton on my mare for my son;s halloween costume class in 2 weeks

You might have angie bleach one into the hair. I understand she's real handy with the clairol bottle!

we used them for 27yrs to mark bucket cows 3 teated cows kicking cows an dry cows.so i know how good they work.

thanks everyone...WD40..ole reliable..that and duct tape..how anyone got along without them is beyond me. :)

msscamp-not sure how good I can get with some spray paint..even those small bottles of colored hairpsray you see at walmart around halloween..just not sure how well I could control the can

spinandslide":l24oo6ta said:
thanks everyone...WD40..ole reliable..that and duct tape..how anyone got along without them is beyond me. :)

Don't forget wire to go along with that. What duct tape won't fix can be repaired with a piece of wire. :)

Latest posts