Learned something new

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The vet was here doing BSE on the long yearlings we had one when he checked Scrotal he said ut oh which is never something you want to hear the vet say. Then said oh it's ok he just has mastitis which of course I have seen in cows just had no idea a bull could get it. He lanced it drained it and the bull passed his BSE with no other issues. As soon as you think you have this thing sorta figured out they throw you a curve.

I've not seen or read about it, but bulls do have teats - and vestigial mammary tissue.
We see prepubertal heifers with mastitis secondary to fly bites on teat ends... no reason why it couldn't happen with a bull... but I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty uncommon.

I've not seen or read about it, but bulls do have teats - and vestigial mammary tissue.
We see prepubertal heifers with mastitis secondary to fly bites on teat ends... no reason why it couldn't happen with a bull... but I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty uncommon.
I had a heifer that got mastitis as a 3 month old calf.. lost a teat to it

20200709_103317.jpg

Several years ago had a couple of dairies that each had several heifers get mastitis during pregnancy, and had 2 farms with nearly a third that came in as 3 teaters when they freshened. It was year of extremely bad fly populations... and these farmers did a very good job with their heifer programs....

With not actually seeing it or getting my hands on it , it sounds more like an abscess in the inguinal area which could have originated from a penetrating wound. Young bulls being young bulls they are mounting each other a lot and can easily half straddle a fence when trying to jump on another.

Ken

I've got one nice yearling heifer that had a swollen something in that area for a couple weeks. She's in her second trimester I figure. Would ya give her some dex and send to beef camp?
Well, that's a game changer. Didn't realize you already had one. You could either get her in the chute now and if you discover it is mastitis, treat with something like Tomorrow (for dry cows) or wait and see what happens when she calves. Theoretically, she should still be able to raise a nice calf on 3 quarters (if only 1 quarter if affected). But I'd watch her closely to make sure the calf received adequate colostrum and subsequent milk. I'd be prepared with colostrum replacer and go from there.

Well, that's a game changer. Didn't realize you already had one. You could either get her in the chute now and if you discover it is mastitis, treat with something like Tomorrow (for dry cows) or wait and see what happens when she calves. Theoretically, she should still be able to raise a nice calf on 3 quarters (if only 1 quarter if affected). But I'd watch her closely to make sure the calf received adequate colostrum and subsequent milk. I'd be prepared with colostrum replacer and go from there.
Its going to be the waiting game for sure. The swollen quarter was during the summer. At the time I was hoping she had scratched a teet or something of the sort. Hate to say but I ignored it as she was otherwise fine.

This heifers mother raised the biggest calves on 3 quarters. Had to get rid of her last summer, was hoping this one would be like her. Just didn't intend to be down to 3 quarters so quickly. 😂

She is built like a brick poophouse.

Latest posts