Happy day for me...

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
We give calfgaurd orally and tag at birth. At around a month we castrate and vaccinate. At weaning we give them their permanant tag, vaccinate and tattoo.

I tag and band at birth. Mostly so that I can keep up with who is who. There are around a dozen calves out there right now that are hard to tell apart. Ear tags simplify things.

When the cows are worked, calves get vaccinated. Two to three weeks later the calves get their booster. Since I calve year round, this works for me.

Not supposed to blackleg till 5 days old, so I wait and blackleg, tag and sometimes band at 5 to 10 days, hard to catch once they get that old though.

Dogs and Cows":6xq2iwdy said:
I sold my last 2 calves yesterday! Private treaty sale as they are Dexters. I did pretty good on the price of all my calves and the wife is happy to see that "hey, this is not as complete a financial black hole as I thought" LOL. I only have a 2 month old bull calf right now...but boy am I relieved to have sold my first calf crop.

On another note...do you guys vaccinate, tag, tattoo the ears, ect. right when the calf is born? This would make it easier for me in the long run...but I didn't know if I could do these chores on a day or 2 old calf???

Thanks all!!!

Tim
Very few down here tattoo other than registered herds.

Congratulations!
I iodine navels, give calf guard, intranasal IBR/PI3 and Selenium at birth. Then 8-way, worming and repeat Intranasal 2-3 months later. Then IBR and Brucellosis (For heifers) at weaning. Mine are usually tattooed a couple weeks before the fair, at whatever age they are then.

TexasBred":2uvo35ip said:
Very few down here tattoo other than registered herds.
The only ones we tattoo are the registered and the retained commercial heifers. The latter only get their individual ID in one ear, no herd id in the other.

I record which cow had a calf when, but that's all I do at birth. When the youngest calf is 1-2 weeks old, I vaccinate, castrate, and eartag. I then match eartags to dams over the next few weeks when I check the cows.

Generally I tag and band at birth or within a few days. I used to give A&D shot and iodine navels, but the cows only licked it off and my vet didn't see a need for the A&D shot.

As with Boogie, when I work the cows again, around 2 to 4 months after calving, the calves get their first vaccines, then a booster 3 to 4 weeks later (whatever is reccomended on the label) and de-worm.

I am like Rafter. I don't do anything except note in my records the calving date. Some of my mommas don't particularly care for you to be messin with their newborn. Everybody goes through the chute a few weeks later foe vacs, castrations, tags and a implant.

Latest posts